Hello

Options
sarahreay16
sarahreay16 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi I'm Sarah 40yr old from Newcastle. I have OA in my lower spine. Only found out in November last year. I'm looking for that magic wand please! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome sarahreay16 to Versus Arthritis Community Forum

Hi, sorry to hear of your OA of the spine, it is something that I can relate to personally for many years. I'm sorry to say that there isn't a magic wand, but there are many coping strategies, I found the hospital Pain Clinic a gresat help. You will find that many of our forum users can relate to the many issues of OA who will be able to offer some good helpful advice and support.

I have found this link that may be of help to you:-
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

Can I suggest also that you contact our Versus Arthritis Helplines 0800 5200 520 during the hours of 9am - 8pm should you want any further help.

Enjoy the forum.

John
  • sarahreay16
    Options
    Hello
    Thanks for replying x I thought I only had sciatica thinking a pain killer jab in my back would sort it all out and I'd be back at work as a carer. I cant even cook a proper meal without having to sit down. I cant walk far kitchen to sitting room can be enough sometimes. Sitting feels like my hips are popping out. Standing makes the sciatica flare up. I really cant do much. Dont worry I've been back to docs asking how I cope. I'm not feeling my life is over anymore. I am on tramadol, naproxen and amitriptyline for night time. How can I go back to work?? Without my wages we are struggling A LOT. I am waiting to hear about PIP.
    Thank you for the link.
    Sarah

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Sarah

Just wondered whether this information about financial support might be of help?

It's really hard coping with pain without adding money-worries to the mix.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/financial-support/

Ellen.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hello Sarah

Welcome to the VA forums from me too. I have had back pain for a very long time too surgery helped a bit, but it's nor easy.

It's a bit invisible isn't it and people don't realise it affects everything you do from laughing, to sleeping cooking to using the loo! You certainly have my sympathy.

Have you seen a consultant yet? If you haven't I would be pushing for that or the pain clinic as our lovely moderator mentioned.

There might not be a magic wand, but things can definitely be improved.

Come on over to one of the other forums now that you've introduced yourself Sarah - Living with Arthritis or hit chat for general conversation. :D

Love

Toni xx
  • sarahreay16
    Options
    Hi Toni,
    I'm just getting used to this app I'll join everything to help [emoji16]
    I've had 2 scans on my back. Seen the Dr 2 weeks after who told me what I have. I am waiting for a painkiller injection in my back but could take up to 8mths. That's all that's happened. Right you've got this and go kind of thing. So I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment. I dont know if the pain will ever go away. Will I walk properly again. When/if I can work again. I've never had a pain free day since this floored me in May.
    This is amazing to talk to people like me I thank you
    Love Sarah

• sarahreay16
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Sarah

Just wondered whether this information about financial support might be of help?

It's really hard coping with pain without adding money-worries to the mix.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/financial-support/

Ellen.
    Thanks Ellen I am on JSA and the only other one is PIP. Which I'm waiting to hear about hopefully not too long....
    Thanks Sarah

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, mercifully my back is OK but the rest of me is compromised by psoriatic and osteoarthritis; I know all abiut having to sit down whilst doing chores and now it's the natural way (I am ow 60 and in my 23rd year of it).

I was self-employed so able to carry on working and was transferred last year from high-rate mobilityDLA to PIP. I was surprised to be put on to standard-rate mobility as I was sure I would lose it due to my use of walking aids enabling me to reach their ridiculous targets with ease but not without pain. I was utterly shocked to be awarded standard rate care so I am one if the many who has upset the government's apple cart by being awarded more rather than being rooted out as a benefits cheat.

I have made many changes to how I do what I do, I call it following the arthritis ABC: adapt, believe, compromise. I have adapted many behaviours so things work better for me, e.g. all my clothes are pull-on, my vacuums are cordless, I swapped to an induction hob, the list goes on. I believe in my ability to get things done no matter how long it may take and I compromise by resting before and after events, stopping something when I think I can do more to minimise payback and resting in between bouts of activity. It's taken a while to get to grips with the disease but this is what works for me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben