Hyaluronic acid injections on NHS

Options
HAinjection
HAinjection Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi to everyone,

I've been suffering with OA for a few years and on advice of my mum (who is after 2 knee and hip ops for OA) have tried hyaluronic acid injections with great results - no pain, walking as before I got OA.
I have used them so far only privately, but insurance won't pay any more and now that the last injection is wearing off, I am desperate.

Please let me know, if you have got them on NHS and where (I did look at the old threads, but to no avail - I would like some info from the last few years, please)

For those looking for more info and my experience of Hyaluronic acid (HA) injections:

I have used Ostenil Plus in UK, one injection per each knee and walked away from the doctor, no pain or problem.
I have also used other brand, but abroad (as they seems to be widely used in Europe) with excellent results, too.
The only difference was the technique of injecting: in UK the doctor draws out a bit of fluid from the knee before injecting HA, abroad they did not, which was more uncomfortable at the time of injection and for a couple of days after, but I believe it lasted me for longer (6 mothns in UK, 9 months abroad, on the same concentration of HA).
Both brands were made of bacteria, as I have read they last longer and other available are made from rooster combs.
I know that lots of sports clubs use HA injections, even the injecting doctor told me, he uses it, as he skis.
From reading European forums, it doesn't help some people, but some report excellent results.
It helps me tremendously and I have had once corticosteroids injected into my shoulders and knees, with shoulders having a relief for a couple of months and knees just few weeks.
Maybe HA injections work better for earlier stages of disease, not sure. Also, I have read that, if the joint is swollen, first steroid might be used, then HA after a month or so for better results.

Hope this help.
Many thanks,
Amelia

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Amelia, and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling in the past with pain in your joints, however I am glad to hear that you have found a treatment that has been effective for you.

It is difficult to answer your questions directly as we do not offer medical advice, however I think the best step to take would be to speak to you GP about possible NHS treatments and referrals to orthopaedic and/or pain doctors.

Please feel free to browse the forum and contribute where you feel comfortable, I am sure our fellow members will jump in with their own experiences.

The following link may be of interest to you, a page on hyaluronic acid injections. This may be information you already know or provide some further insight:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/hyaluronan-injections/

Please check back in and let us know how you get on,

Best wishes,
    Alice
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Unfortunately I think you will face difficulties trying to get these injections on the NHS. They are not recommended by NICE
    https://www.nice.org.uk/donotdo/do-not-offer-intraarticular-hyaluronan-injections-for-the-management-of-osteoarthritis
    Given the current extreme constraints on funding, the chances of finding a way round that are minimal. This is one health authority's advice on the matter to its users
    http://www.fundingrequests.cscsu.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/AI-14-Paper-J-Appendix-4-Policy-for-sodium-hyaluronic-acid-injections-in-osteoarthritis-post-CAG-Dec-ID-839040.pdf
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 19. Nov 2021, 09:49
    Options
    As a treatment it seems a bit hit and miss to judge from former threads on here https://community.versusarthritis.org/search?query=hyaluronic acid&scope=site

But, if it works for you, I believe it's available as a supplement in tablet form. I suggest you discuss it with your local pharmacist before trying it though.

[Edit - post updated with search link to reflect the new website - Admin Brynmor]
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Shayalex
    Shayalex Watch Posts: 3
    edited 19. Nov 2021, 09:44
    Options

Hyaluronic acid injections mask the problem but not solve it somehow. It's the reason why the insurance company refused you to continue covering expenses. If you won't make any "more advanced" steps, you will have to use hyaluronic acid injections all your life. Moreover, hyaluronic acid products are used mainly in the skincare industry, as their moderate effect is better for making skin more lively and firm. I had a few basic operations for my OA, and now my only treatment is fitness and micronutrient-rich nutrition. Don't treat injections as a lifebuoy, as they're not.

[Edit - link to commercial site removed.]

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

My dad had them in France -about 5 years ago and they worked and have continued to work.

I looked into it for myself but rather more then I can afford if private and they don't do them on NHS.