Hi all

Options
barafundle
barafundle Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi all I have suffered with OA for many years and as we all know it only gets worse. I also have a lot of spinal problems and life is difficult.
I am 60 now and I am noticing the last few years that I can do less and less. My garden was always my sanctuary but last year I wasn't able to do as much as previous summers, but at least I could sit outside and enjoy the sun, when it put in an appearance !
It is scarey seeing how much I am deteriorating, I live alone and most days its a struggle dressing washing and just generally managing around the home, I seem to have an awful lot of pyjama days !!
Thankfully I am lucky enough to live in a bungalow and have an adapted bathroom. My Gp is very good and I am also seen regularly by pain management but I do get lonely but also find it difficult to go out and about. Sorry to sound like a real moaner but I am sure alot of you also feel the same.
I live in Cardiff and would love to know if there are any groups or meetings locally.

Thanks Anne

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anne,

Welcome to the forum, it’s lovely to meet you. I am so sorry to hear you have been having a difficult time with your osteoarthritis. It can be incredibly isolating and frustrating when we find ourselves unable to do the activities we love most.

Please know you have come to the right place for support. The members of this community are here for each other and there is certainly no need to apologise for having a ‘moan’ here as we all understand what you are going through.

It is great to see you still manage to have a positive outlook in many ways and I am also glad to see you are happy with your GP and medical care.

I had a look for you on the Versus Arthritis website to see if there are any groups in Cardiff. I found this page for Cymru Versus Arthritis, it looks as though organise some events. They have a contact number and email address.

https://www.dewis.wales/ResourceDirectory/ViewResource.aspx?id=7988

It is also worth keeping an eye on the ‘what’s in my area’ section on the Versus Arthritis site. There is one group that could be a bit far away for you but there may be new ones popping up over time.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/in-your-area/in-your-area-search-results?area=cardiff&radius=50

Please feel free to join in any of the forums you feel comfortable. It doesn’t have to be arthritis related, there is the chit-chat forum for non-arthritis related threads which you may enjoy.

Let us you know how you get on.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it 's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I too am 60, I began my first arthritis, psoriatic, when I was 37 then osteo was diagnosed when I was 52. I have definitely noticed life becoming more challenging as the natural depredations of age arrive, competing with those already present thanks to the disease.

We moved into a chalet bungalow which has certainly made life physically easier and our bedroom has French doors leading out into the garden. I have never been a fan of gardens (thanks to asthma a bunch of iris nearly killed me when I was eight) but the antics of the birds, foxes and squirrels is entertaining. I have spent the past three weeks in bed thanks to the PsA flaring and the OA has been a nuisance too, thanks to the cold and damp, but I know that will ease when the better weather arrives, say around June. :wink:

I'm flagging now so will be off: back later, I promise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    You don't sound like 'a moaner', Anne, you sound like someone who is struggling to get the better of arthritis so you've come to the right place.

I've had RA for over 50 years and OA for a few less so I can understand where you're coming from. I'm lucky in that I have a husband around to do stuff I can't and a son and family fairly close. But arthritis can be very isolating even in a crowd. Often it's not that people don't understand but that they think they do :roll: But don't :lol:

It's good that you have helpful professionals around and an adapted bathroom. How are you for other helpful gadgets? I don't mean only the ones sold by disability stores but also things I wouldn't be without such as my lightweight cordless vac, my steamer (lighter than pans and healthier) and lightweight iron though I confess it gets very few outings :oops:

How do you get out and about? Can you use public transport? Do you drive? I think you're right that meeting others is so important. My local church runs scrabble and craft afternoons (not only for parishioners) and our village always has lots going on. I do find it helpful to talk to others with arthritis when things are rough but, normally, I prefer talking about anything other than arthritis :lol: Our scrabble group is hugely UNcompetitive, very noisy and a great place for a weekly laugh, or several.

If you can't find a VA group near you, we're always here :D It can be so discouraging monitoring our own decline and finding new ways of keeping busy and active is a good alternative.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Nah not moaning at all :)

It sounds as though you are worrying about your garden deteriorating which is really distressing. Are there any voluntary groups in the area who help older/less able people with their gardens who might be able to help?

I don't know whether you get any financial support PIP for instance, but a few people on here use that money to pay for some cleaning help at home too?

Don't know if any of that was helpful, but there is no need to feel alone with place like this to come and join in :D

Toni x