Psoriasis

Options
RD92
RD92 Member Posts: 17
edited 11. Feb 2020, 10:42 in Living with arthritis
I have psoriatic arthritis and I’m lucky enough to only have a few patches on my legs, what is the best thing to use on it? Not sure if creams or gels will work or make it worse?! Just curious to see what has worked for people.
Thank you! :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My GP prescribes Dovobet: OTC stuff is as effective as applying ice cream. Also try using coal tar soap: you will stink but it won't aggravate the inflamed skin. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • RD92
    RD92 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    My GP prescribes Dovobet: OTC stuff is as effective as applying ice cream. Also try using coal tar soap: you will stink but it won't aggravate the inflamed skin. DD

Perfect, thank you! Maybe a trip to the GP then!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What immuno-suppressants are you taking? My psoriasis is minimal thanks to meth and humira but does, very occasionally, break through. My Dovobet tube is 2/3rds full and expired in 2016. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    What used to be Wright's Coal Tar soap no longer contains coal tar and hasn't for many years. It contains teatree oil and 'coal tar fragrance' and was kept in the same packaging but with a small change to the wording - it now says 'Traditional Soap', and underneath in small letters 'with coal tar fragrance'.
    I discovered this the hard way with my son who had been using it for skin problems following a scabies episode. He came down after a shower one day and said that the new bar of soap smelt funny and his skin was hurting. I was not pleased when I found out what had happened, not least because we had already established previously that teatree oil disagreed with his skin, as indeed it does mine and my daughter's. When I contacted the manufacturers they were completely unapologetic about both the misleading packaging(not surprisingly),the withdrawal of the active ingredient(which was due to a ban on coal tar so not within their control) and the inclusion of a completely new ingredient. In my view that meant it was a different product and should have been marketed as such.