Jaw and ear

Options
numptynan
numptynan Member Posts: 12
edited 17. Feb 2020, 13:05 in Living with arthritis
Is it possible that my RA and/or Fibro is affecting my jaw? My jaw gets so bad it seems to affects my ear. Or am I loosing the plot altogether :?:

Comments

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Numptynan, I have problems with my jaw and was told by the dentist that it is arthritis I was given some exercises to do which helped. I do get pain in my ear when it is bad ( probably due to the fact that the ear is very close to the jaw hinge joint), my teeth also became very sensitive. I have OA,RA and fibro as well. I also am waiting for surgery for a cyst in my jaw ( I thought the pain was the usual it wasn't now I have a boney lump because some tooth was left in). I would mention it to your dentist or GP.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If there's a joint it can be affected. For those of us sadly 'in the know' jaw arthritis is not unknown, along with the associated tipping over into ear discomfort. My jaw hurts probably because it spends much time clenched thanks to pain, I have to make a deliberate effort to relax it.

What pain relief do you take? Have you tried resting a hottie or wheat bag against the hurty side? Sometimes all gets too much. :| DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • numptynan
    Options
    Thanks for that Stellabean, I asked my dentist when I first noticed it a few years ago, he checked my teeth and gums (cos that's why I was there) and he said there was nothing wrong but wouldn't comment on the RA thought.

Dreamdaisy, Ive just gone back onto sulfasalazine a couple of months ago, pain help is only paracetamol because I cant take the opiates, (they cause constipation!) I will have to invest in a hot water bottle, I clench my jaw too and grind my teeth in the night lol.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Alas, yes, though I blame my OA rather than my RA. Maybe check with your rheumatologist at your next appt.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • numptynan
    Options
    Alas, yes, though I blame my OA rather than my RA. Maybe check with your rheumatologist at your next appt.

thanks stickywicket,

Its on the list for the next visit in April.

its all go at the moment, had my eyed tested this morning...the cataracts are growing steadily :o
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I understand the constipation thing (it is a nuisance to say the least) but I have found that if I eat a few figs or prunes every day that makes life easier. I need the extra wallop that codeine gives the paracetamol to make me able to get on better with things, to make the low quality of life more tolerable. I do not particularly enjoy the eating but, if I have just two or three every time I boil the kettle, it's done and dusted. See you after the forum break! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben