Big toe Cartiva implant - one or both feet

Options
SageM
SageM Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Feb 2020, 14:53 in Living with arthritis
Hi, I’m due Cartiva implant surgery next week & have been offered the choice of having both feet done at the same time or just one. I’ve waited 9months for this operation and am not sure what to do as can’t imagine not being able to hobble about. Has anyone had double foot surgery as I’d like to get an idea to help me make a decision (I can decide on the day).
Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi SageM and welcome to the Versus Arthritis community.

Having Cartiva implant surgery isn’t something I had heard of before and so did a little research, finding this excellent information sheet from West Suffolk NHS:

https://www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents/Patient-leaflets/TraumaandOrthopaedics/6262-1-Cartiva-implant-surgery.pdf

Reading through, it does say you will be able to hobble by placing your weight on your heels. I’m sure your surgeon/health care team will be able to advise on any additional support you will need in the early stages of recovery.

Hopefully, you will get some immediate responses from our members: our forums become Read Only on Tuesday as we launch a new modern platform.

If you need to speak to someone in total confidence, do contact our free Helplines on 0800 5200 520 Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm.

Do come back and let us know how you get on as this is a relatively new procedure and will help others who are offered the same operation.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As I recall we've only ever had one person on here who has had this op and it wasn't successful. I see, from Mod Brynmor's link that it's a fairly new op. NCBI doesn't seem to rate it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31195830. Personally, I wouldn't think of have one done let alone two. Sorry to sound so negative but it's all too easy to clutch at straws. I've had some very successful joint replacement ops.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright