Options
Jenny209
Jenny209 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
hi there everyone I have not long been diagnosed with osteoarthritis I have it in both knees but sometimes it’s my right one that is sore I tend to find that I struggle to walk properly get in and out of a seat and also out of bed it takes me longer to do things that I used to take for granted

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello
    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find the members are friendly, helpful, caring, empathic. They will offer you suggestions and advice, especially if they have a similar condition. There are members on this forum who have osteoarthritis of the knees and I'm sure they will offer support and suggestions.

Versus Arthritis have booklets and fact sheets on the many aspects of arthritis. At the top of this page you will see several buttons which when pressed lead you to the various subjects Versus Arthritis cover.

This,forum will be down from tomorrow, 18th February until 26th February. This one will be a read only from tomorrow. The up to date forum will be up and running from then.

I am one of the moderators and we all have one or more of the arthritis hanger ons or care for family with the same.
    I look forward to reading your future posts and hear how you are getting on.

Best,wishes
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jenny and welcome from me too.

It's true, arthritis does slow us down and make life more difficult. There are often ways round the difficulties, though. I find physio exercises essential for keeping my muscles as strong as possible. Strong muscles protect joints and help to lessen the pain somewhat.

Many people find a walking stick helps enormously. Or sticks if needed. You can buy 'leg lifters' to help get a difficult leg into bed. My husband has just discarded the one he needed 3 weeks ago after his new hip operation. As for seats - do make sure your armchair is high enough for comfort. I've had mine raised. Dining chairs are easier. As for car seats - put a plastic bag on the seat. That way you can swivel in :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright