Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

It has been suggested by orthopaedics. That I require bone removed from my shoulder joint. Is this

I still have full range of movements in my shoulder. Orthopaedics suggest that I need to have bone removed from the joint area. Particularly the glomerulohumerl and acromioclavicular.
Due to long term pain and the need for repeat steroids injections. Is this really necessary?

Comments

• crinkly1crinkly1 Posts: 141

Hello Kenbo,

I don't know whether my experience may be helpful or even whether the procedure I had is still done but, about six years ago I had similar symptoms to those you describe. Steroid injections didn't alleviate the pain and, after a scan, I had keyhole surgery to remove osteophytes as well as calcific deposits from a tendon in my right shoulder.

I was discharged from hospital the same day and made a full recovery within two months. Since then I have had no pain at all and still have complete range of movement and strength in that joint.

I do hope you soon have an opportunity to discuss your situation with your surgeon in detail so you can make the best decision for yourself.

• kenbokenbo Posts: 6

Hi Crinkly

Thank you for the constructive feedback, it was really usefulI. It was the surgeon who suggested the corrective procedure. Unfortunately Covid -19 struck. Therefore it was put on hold. It should have been done in March. I hope that I can have this resolved quickly and get back to living and nursing properly.

• Hi Kenbo

Thanks for your post to Helplines. If you'd like a chat about how you are weighing up the pros and cons of possible surgery, normally that's a conversation 1st with the surgeon. If you feel you'd like further conversations, then you might consider discussing it with your GP, a physiotherapist, possibly even a second surgeon if you want.

You'd be most welcome to use us at the Helpline as a sounding board and a place to talk. Because we are not medically trained, we can't advise one way or the other, but you'd be welcome to ring and talk.

Best wishes

Guy Helpline team