A Useful Lesson Learned

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 4. Mar 2020, 16:15 in Living with arthritis

I am away from home and unwell. I rang my GPs surgery this morning, hoping to make an appointment for Friday and, after hanging on for over ten minutes and not moving up the queue, gave up. I tried again later, same again. Rang early this afternoon: the surgery is closed for staff training.

I then thought right, do it online. Went to my suitcase for my little pink book of passwords to find I have left it at home. Husband logged in to his a/c and found that there are no appointments for a fortnight. Note to self: in addition to the humira, meth and script list in my purse, add my disguised password. I could send for a reset but the internet signal where we are is weak, intermittent, unreliable. Bit like me. I will go to the walk-in clinic instead, which will mean waiting for aaaaaaaa-ges, but gven my circs not a waste of time. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options

Oh DD what a trial it is, trying to make an apt with the doc' I can feel your frustration because I have the same problem here, even making an apt for a phone call is like extracting teeth.

Good luck with the 'walk in clinic'

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options

Not that this will help, given your poor internet connection - and you’ve probably thought of it already. ..... but, does your surgery offer online consultations?

I’ve used ours very successfully in the past and it’s an absolute boon.

I hope you’re feeling better very soon. What a shame your trip has been marred

• dreamdaisy
    Options

Thank you, ladies, for taking the time to comment. I finally managed to get through to the doctors yesterday afternoon once we were home. Needless to say there were no appointments left and one could not be booked for today due to 'unforseen' pressures on the system. What unforseen pressures? It's winter, people get ill and the worried well go into overdrive: IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR for crying out loud. I was advised to ring at 8am today, and did, sixty times, and never got through. I will try again later and ask for a home appointment or telephone booking, I am already compromised enough even by my generous reckonings. I looked online for the first available appointment, which is March 12th. I plan to be better by then.

I rang 111 as advised by the GP practice and what a waste of time that service appears to be. According to them I am to self-isolate (I DO NOT have corona for crying out loud) and ring my GPs for advice. I love an advisory circle. Twerps.

Luckily I grew up in times where drugs for what I had did not exist so one had to shape up and get on with things. That is what I am doing now by taking cocos, spraying my throat with a revolting Covonia spray, drinking copious amounts of tea, not taking my meth or humira, and staying in bed. I feel better for being at home anyway. I can lick this. If it turns out I can't I have no fears. DD

• dreamdaisy
    Options

Well, my surgery came through. They are being somewhat sneaky when it comes to sniffles and appointments.

I rang back at 9.45 and got through. A different receptionist asked me the same questions as yesterday then said a doc would ring some time today. A doc did ring about an hour later, verified what I had already said, then asked if I would like to come in. I explained that I could not get an appointment whereupon she said 'Oh yes, you can, we're keeping time-wasters away.' Not professional perhaps but very understandable.

I have a week's worth of penicillin. I am not to take my meth etc for at least another fortnight and I will let the hospital know that I am having at least a month off the meds. DD

• phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options

Hi DD,

I'm pleased your surgery came through for you, although of course it's not good news that you're in need of penicillin and have to come off your meths and Humira. I hope you start to improve soon.

I rang my surgery yesterday for the results of my latest blood tests. I spoke with a receptionist who usually sounds quite calm, but she seemed a bit frazzled on this occasion. No doubt there's a lot of time-wasting going on here at the moment too.

Best wishes,

Phee

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    edited 7. Mar 2020, 17:35
    Options

TBH I don't mind being free of the tyranny of meth and humira because I always feel much better in myself: I leave moderately grotty behind which is most pleasurable in comparison to it being my ambition.

I also feel more genuine because I both look and sound poorly whereas with the arthritis I fail on both counts: the only thing that gives that game away is the rolly or my lumpen gait. 😁 Perhaps I do have side effects in that I feel moderately grotty all the time as opposed to nausea, headaches etc.

I hope you are keeping as well as possible. DD

• phoenixoxo
    Options

Yes, I always used to feel better in myself when I was off the meds too. I write 'used to' because I haven't had a serious infection for years, well before the deformities set in. These days my feet are permanently in the '10 and 2 position', and my fingers are decidedly twisty, but even with all that going on folks insist on telling me I look 'well'. I think people see what they want to see 🤓

As for sounding arthritic, do you mean clicking, grinding, etc.? The other day, the blood test nurse moved my left arm up onto a bulky pillow, and my left shoulder made such a loud clunking noise she actually jumped back with a loud gasp. Then she apologised, but I couldn't help laughing. Well, perhaps that isn't what you meant. Anyway, I'm continuing to wish you well, DD 🙂

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options

To be honest I am not sure what I meant! When you have a bug you cough, sneeze, sigh, have a red nose from all the blowing, runny eyes, people can both hear and see that you are to be avoided. In comparison arthritis is a quiet phenomenon, I can hear the clicks and grinding but those noises get lost in the day-to-day cacophany of life. I am amused by the fact you startled a nurse but I am not laughing at you. (( ))

Day three of anti-bios has heralded a retrograde step. Still managed to change the bed though. Does the fun ever stop? 😂 DD

• phoenixoxo
    Options

Ah, the bug noises, so to speak. And the general bug appearance, which provides plenty of clues that a person's poorly. Yes, if illness is rated by how 'bugged' a person looks, arthritis isn't very convincing. Don't worry about laughing at me, DD; I think of myself as quite the one-woman band when I'm particularly clicky and clunky 😂

Sorry about the retrograde step on the anti-bios. No, the fun never stops; it's relentless! Hugs to thee, from Phestive Phee 🐜 (and some sort of bug)