Newly diagnosed at 31

Options
Izabela31new
Izabela31new Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi all .
I am 31 and just been diagnosed with seronegative arthritis .
Quite worried and scared about the future and my life with it .

Comments

• ajolly
    ajolly Member Posts: 59
    edited 5. Mar 2020, 22:29
    Options

Hi Izabela,

I’m sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Navigating the medical system and coming to terms with a new diagnosis can be daunting so I am glad you have found the forum.

All our members and moderators here have experience with arthritis in one way or another and can relate to what you are going through right now.

Please let us know if there are any areas in particular where you are looking for information or support. I have provided a link below with some hints and tips, a Q&A section and stories from others with arthritis which you may find useful.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/your-experiences/

There is also our helpline team who are available on 0800 5200 520 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 8pm) if you feel like having a chat to someone.

Please check back in and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    edited 6. Mar 2020, 11:10
    Options

Hi @Izabela31new

It's lovely to meet you although I am sorry you have been diagnosed with seronegative arthritis 😕

It is scary when you first get something like this.  No-one expects to get hit by something we all thought (mistakenly) only affects people who are older.

It makes you rethink everything and perhaps overthink things a bit too?  When I first got Arthritis (I was telling someone else this) I stopped making plans I was so fearful that I wouldn't be able to do things.  I do liken it to grieving for the life I had had planned.

In time I got things in perspective and found the right medication combination and life went on.  Not quite the same as it was of course, but absolutely fine for the most part🙂

For now I suggest keeping on talking to people like us - fear of the unknown is the worst thing isn't it?  Above all be kind to yourself ((()))

• MazFox26
    MazFox26 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi Izabela

Sorry to hear that you have received this news. I was 37 when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, 20 years ago. I had three young children at the time and was working full time. I was devastated but didn't have anyone to talk to about it, even though I worked in the NHS as a medical secretary. The way I dealt with it was to go deep into denial for many years, although I did take my prescribed meds and have my blood tests etc. I busied myself with my family and work and soldiered on through the pain and sleepless nights. I was lucky in a way to have a Dad who had it, so I knew that it was something that could be lived with and there were things I could do to help myself.

Things have got so much better in the last 20 years. Treatments are better, professionals know so much more about the conditions and we have great forums like this to learn from. I still work, have hobbies etc and live a fairly normal life ( my friends probably wouldn't describe me as "normal"!!). My advice to you is to try not to dwell too much on the future, that will take care of itself.

Concentrate on keeping yourself as healthy as you can, enjoy the fun times and as frogmorton very wisely says, be kind to yourself.