Panic buying

Us immunocompromised have been buying antiseptic hand wipes and gel for ages and now thanks to the nation in panic we can't get any. It seems everybody is doing what we have had to do anyway. Why on earth there has been a run on toilet rolls I cannot fathom. Anybody else frustrated with this state of affairs.

Comments

• silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    edited 6. Mar 2020, 16:57
    Working in a supermarket it is unreal the amount people are buying and what they are buying, you’d think WW3 is on the way. Also the amount of washing products people are buying you have to question if before this they used to actually wash properly.....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I've not panicked-bought anything and never would. The media hype things up, encouraging the un-necessary hysteria. One doesn't actually need gel, it is possible to carry round a small bar of soap in a placcy bag and wet wash the mitts whenever possible, but people are lazy and like convenience. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625

I suppose people think they'll need a lot of paper to mop up their various bits once they're infected. My PA/carer picked up a few things for me this morning, nothing out of the ordinary, and she was amazed at how many people were buying as much toilet roll as they could. They were also buying a lot of pasta and tinned food.

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I can't get to the shops as I am virtually housebound now thanks to OA, I will be receiving my Morrisons home delivery this morning and have ordered loo roll, hand soap and some cleaning materials, not because I am stock piling but because I have nearly run out so fingers crossed!

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

How’re you getting on with your transport plans Mike?

• Mike1

Still waiting for the British Legion to make their minds up about providing me with a folding electric wheelchair. Their OT is visiting tomorrow to make an assessment but is trying to push me towards a light weight mobility scooter which is taken apart to fit in a car boot, only problem is that my sister would not be able to manage it and neither can I. On the shopping front, put in a Morrisons order yesterday morning but the earliest delivery is Thursday instead of next day as usual; my immediate thought when doing the order was "shall I add some bits on in case the deliveries become further delayed?" but I resisted the temptation because that would be like panic buying and in any event the additional cost would be prohibitive.

• Airwave!

You can get either a roof rack fitting to take the wheelchair or have a small electric crane fitted in the car. Sorry I have no details other than I know someone who has the fitting in the boot.

You might be able to get an award for one to cover the cost and fitting?

Good luck with this.

• Mike1

I used to have a crane fitted in my Motability car for my main wheelchair but since my driving licence was taken away by the DVLA on health grounds no car! The whole idea of the folding electric chair is that it will fit in my sister's boot and also anyone else willing to take me out, thereby giving me more options and opportunities instead of being virtually housebound.

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782

I firmly believe that the run on toilet rolls is because people use it instead of boxed tissues, I'm told it's cheaper but I so wish people weren't so selfish.

(I use boxed tissues in case anyone asks!)

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Airwave!

Mike, Don’t forget that if you have the motability allowance you can nominate a driver for the vehicle or pay for someone else’s car with the allowance, there are no restrictions on this.

keep smiling

its a grin, honest!

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

I went to morrisons on Monday there wasn't any plain or self raising flour to be had people were buying it to make bread the funny thing is there was plenty of proper bread flour! We can't get a delivery slot for weeks.

• stellabean

We live in a rural area with small villages, hamlets and settlements over a large area. There is a small co-op that serves us it doesn't have a big range and not all the essentials either. Over the last few days we have had groups of cars coming from the towns 30 miles away waiting on the market place for the deliveries to arrive then the people have gone and cleared out our store.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

People are so used to the concept of one-stop shopping they cannot cope with the thought of going to one shop for fruit and veg, another for meat, another for fish, the chemist for meds etc. This was how people used to shop, I remember my Ma going out every day for fresh supplies, especially in the summer as we didn't have a fridge but now? People expect to get everything from food to housewares to electrical goods to knickers and petrol all in the one location because that is what they know.

I live in a large town which is in a mainly rural county. Our local farm shops are stocked, our local butchers are doing OK - it is the supermarkets which are struggling due to idiots and morons who have no idea about adjusting their behaviour to help the greater good. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stellabean

I know what you mean DD we usually use local for everyday things. I have always made my own bread and have just had my 6 monthly standing delivery of flour but the supplier of my yeast has just informed me that they have had people turning up at their shop and clearing them out so I have had to resort to buying from ebay at over 3times the price. Once that arrives I am putting packs together for some of the farmers here who have been unable to get bread or flour. I am sure eventually the numpties will burn out on their panic buying.

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    edited 22. Mar 2020, 19:29

I was really lucky yesterday, my son went around the shops and got a few urgent things for me and today......I managed to get a delivery slot from sainsburys for tomorrow, mind you it's taken 4 days to get to this point and 3/4 hour to get through the checkout (they must have been so busy, the site kept crashing)

I noticed a headline this morning saying that tesco had increased the prices of 600 items in an effort to stop people stock piling....it's more like greed to me 👿👿

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Mike1

There are only 2 supermarkets that deliver in my area, went on-line to put an order in this morning and NEITHER have any home delivery slots available for at least the next 2 weeks. I have heard from my sister who works for ASDA that people are booking multiple delivery slots yet not placing an order immediately, merely keeping them open in case they want something. Another example of greed and unnecessary panic. So despite supposedly having to self-isolate as being in the high risk group I am going to have to venture out to my village shop on my mobility scooter this morning, whoopee.

• stellabean

Here is an example of greed I buy my yeast for bread in 500g packs it is the only one that doesn't have chemicals added to improve it or help it rehydrate as I can't use them.. People have been putting it on ebay at vast mark ups. For example I pay between £5-6 for 500g how about 80g for £9.95 or 500g for nearly £20 and the government reckon there is no profiteering.We only have the small co-op in the village and now have even more people coming from 40 miles away to clear it out when the deliveries arrive

I am going to the vet today as our dog is very unwell he is waiting for test results for an enlarged prostrate he won't eat much and only what he fancies which at the moment is dentisticks toast and peanut butter and poached salmon with a little cream.We can't even get a click and collect slot for any supermarket so will try to get to one when we go out.

• Airwave!

We have eleven supermarkets plus countless smaller ones and you can’t buy a bottle of milk in a town of 60,000 people. That’s how much people care about their neighbours.

• Mike1

Went to my village shop this morning, taking a face mask with me, having decided not to go in if there were other people in there. As luck would have it the shop was empty apart from the owner and an assistant so I was able to get the bits I needed. I had a good chat with them as I have not been out - or seen anyone - for a week or so, they are very conscious of the fact that there are lots of elderly and infirm people in the village. They are keeping the shop door open; I can phone an order in, pay by card over the phone and then it will be delivered to my door later in the day - no minimum limit, they will just drop a pint of milk around if I want it; alternatively if I fancy a trip out I can phone an order in and collect it up there; or I can just go to the shop and waggle a list through the open door, they will then get the stuff and give it to me all bagged up. How brilliant is that! I also mentioned that a couple of you had noticed that townies had descended on village shops and cleared them out, luckily that has not happened in my village BUT some second-home owners have defied the Government's advice and have travelled down here. How inconsiderate is that, they have already out-priced locals wanting to buy a home and now they are bringing there bugs down here. Wish I had a 12 bore!!

• stellabean

I am glad your local shop is going to help Mike, and I'm with you on the 12 bore front. Our co-op is closing for half an hour when the delivery comes so they can get stuff in and stored away before the "visitors" descend. They will also put one or two items away for a local in need.

Got the dogs meds he has an infection inflammation and necrotic tissue in the sample they are not sure if there is any cancer. I am annoyed as he had been on pain relief before the procedure but has had none since as the vet I saw said we had to wait for results but that wasn't true he should have been on meds all this week there has been no reason for him to be in pain. I hope it won't take things long to kick in as he is having trouble peeing.