sore buttock from sitting even for a short while

Options
HelenP
HelenP Member Posts: 22
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello - I embarrassed to raise this subject but I sit quite a bit and do walk around every 20 minutes or so but I find my buttocks feel sore and I'm terrified of it causing a problem........perhaps I shouldn't wear Jeans but nearly all the alternatives feel like they may rub. Perhaps I should find some pants with long legs to line my clothes - perish the thought! I rub moisturiser in when I wash - perhaps that's softened the skin too much. I don't like it and simply cannot spend all my time walking around or standing up. Help! I can't be alone in this surely?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello HelenP

Can I just check with you is it your skin which is hurting or is it deeper inside like bone/muscular?

Also have you tried anything already - maybe a wheatbag or anti-inflammatory cream?

I'm only asking so it will help people be better able to respond.

Ellen

• HelenP
    Options

I replied directly on line - perhaps I should copy into this box but the automatic reply said I would be contacted tomorrow. Thanks Ellen.

• Ellen
    Options

Good idea to copy into here HelenP so that the other members can see - so long as it's not too personal of course!

Someone might have experienced similar that's all I was thinking.

Ellen

• HelenP
    edited 11. Mar 2020, 13:47
    Options

Hello – how wonderful to hear from you. Ok..........it seems to be a skin problem – difficult to see the backs of your legs – I cannot feel a rash – it’s just a tingling. I’ve changed my jeans to some which are a lot looser and just rubbed in Savlon.   The only creams I have in the house are E45 itch cream and camomile lotion which I haven’t tried.   I use Amazon so would able to get something else.  I’m afraid to contact either the surgery or pharmacy as they obviously have enough to think about just now.   I wonder if this is a sort of stress thing – it does coincide with someone calling here who was boasting about having just got back from France and Zurich.   He did put me in a panic and the constant news isn’t helping.   I’m 76 and housebound.  This morning I’m endeavouring to keep calm and have taken one 2mg diazepam given to me for severe anxiety – the first time I have had to resort to taking one for a year or more.   Sorry to explain all this but how much fear is causing the problem I don’t know.  

I hope that answers all you want to know and I’m truly so grateful to you for offering help.   As an aside and to complete the picture my other medication is Candesartan 32mg and Amlodipine 5mg which has been the same for about 6 months.   I don’t each much sweet stuff and any salt.   Special K and yogurt are my mainstays and cook something most evenings. I don’t drink but smoke 6 cigarettes a day – they are my reward for tackling difficult jobs like vacuuming etc.   There we are Ellen – once again thank you for taking the trouble. Helen

Just now adding that I might be moderated for the sin of having a cigarettes - that's fine and I will understand. Today just using Savlon seems to have quietened the problem down and wearing a very old pair of torn jeans instead of those I was wearing..........ok - Helen.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Mine are sore all the time, have been for years. It is a deep ache, right inside which I attribute to the OA in both hips and/or my other cruddy leg joints. I always sit with a cushion to both soften the seat and raise it (on the sofa I have a very firm memory pillow which gives good support under my bum) and now refuse to sit on any chair which renders my hips lower than my buttocks (I spent the majority of my PIP aseessment perched on my rollator as the provided seating was totally unsuitable).

Moisturising won't necessarily help - after years of severe eczema I am fairly knowledgeable on that subject - but the action of rubbing it in could well temporarily ease some of the ache. Try sitting on a hot waterbottle or wheat bag, even a blanket could help as warmth eases OA aches. Hopefuly things will generally improve for all us OA-ers when the warmer weather comes. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ellen
    Options

Oh Helen

I can hear that the visitor who has been abroad has really worried you and can quite understand with what is going on in the world at the moment. What I will say though is that the Dr would probably still be happy to help as would the pharmacist. You can always telephone them you know I am certain they wouldn't feel you were wasting their time. These days many Drs will do telephone consultations anyway.

We certainly won't moderate you for having your cigarettes you are an adult and it's still legal in this country.

If the diazepam were prescribed for you and they have helped that is good.

Keep posting Helen this is a lovely community everyone wants to help each other

Take care and I hope your skin eases soon, but if it doesn't you should ring the Pharmacist or GP surgery.

Ellen.

• HelenP
    Options

Hello kind friends - well, yesterday I kept myself very busy and tried to forget tingly/sore buttocks. I washed the floors with a mop, deep cleaned all work surfaces and so on. My weekly 'carer' came for 2 hrs and simply talked about life in general and by the time she'd left I had stopped panicking. Yes, I think that idiotic supermarket delivery man was very thoughtless - still tongue make wise head. I reason with myself and have decided I must stop thinking about myself.

I want very much to thank Versus Arthritis for being there........it's wonderful to know that there are folk that care. love to you all. Helen.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Well done on the domestic industry, when the mood strikes I find cleaning therapeutic but wish the mood struck more often!

When my husband was working I was on my own for up to eighteen hours a day and that definitely affected me: I did not realise how much until he retired. It is so easy to get used to looking down and in rather than up and out, the latter is far harder. The forum has been one way I looked up and out, I have been on here for years and made some very good friends through it: the one thing we never talk about is arthritis! DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben