Pins and needles in a limb? How is a scan done?

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 10. Mar 2020, 16:00 in Living with arthritis

I've got OA in my hands, feet, knees and spine. After an ultrasound today, I can now add my left shoulder to the list! Lovely!

However, I'm also having problems with my right shoulder. For the past 18 months I've noticed pins and needles in my right arm which has steadily become worse. Some discomfort, but very little pain, although I can't lie on it at night as I get the pins and needles then. I'll be seeing the GP again next week for the ultrasound results in my left shoulder, but am wondering how to discuss my right. He was good enough to send me for the ultrasound for my left shoulder, but I don't want him to dismiss the right one as 'more of the same' as the tingling concerns me somewhat. I've read that it may be due to a problem with my neck, although, again, I have no pain there - although my neck is rather 'crunchy'!

The consultant who dealt with me today said that, if I'm sent for a scan of this shoulder, they do it differently - not a normal ultrasound - as the problem will be neurological.

Has anyone else had pins and needles in a limb? In what way is the scan different? Any advice in how to persuade my GP to investigate it, if he's reluctant?

Comments

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Options

Hi Megrose, I didn't have any problem with my neck either or so I thought when I was injured 20yrs ago and was informed that I had extensive spinal degeneration as well as damage discs and shoulder joint from the injury. Over the years I often have pins and needles in my arms, pain up my neck tingling in my face, tingling in my hands as well as I can't feel hot or cold in my fingers. I have to be careful how I lie so that my neck is in line and not tipped to one side. Over the years I have had trouble getting the GP to not just lump all my problems in together. I find I have to be very clear about my symptoms and how they differ from "the usual".

I 've not had an ultrasound on my shoulders but have had an MRI and CT scan many years ago (20) so if my spine was that of an 80yr old then I dread to think what it is now!

• Megrose489
    Options

Thank you, Stella. I had an MRI a couple of years ago which showed degenerative disc disease in my lower spine, as well as in the facet joints, so I can imagine the top part of my spine is similar. This tingling is quite intrusive and, when it tingles, my arm feels weak, although that is more a perception I think. I also find that lying on my right shoulder at night brings on the pins and needles, so something is not right! As I've got bursitis in both hips, as well as the arthritis in my left shoulder, deciding how to get comfortable at night can be a poser!

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice, be very clear and remind the GP again how long I've had the symptoms and that they've become worse. I could accept pain as being more arthritis, but not the pins and needles.

Thanks again.

Meg

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I have widespread OA and degenerative facet disease as well as compressed and a detached disc in my neck. I too suffer with arm pain and occasional tingling which has been put down to Brachialgia which is basically caused by nerve damage/pinching which is as a result of neck problems! Hence I have an electric wheelchair to get around as I cannot propel a manual one when my arms play up. Having had multiple xrays, scans and ultrasound over the years but I cannot specifically remember being investigated for my arm issues.

• Megrose489
    Options

Thanks for your reply, Mike. So sorry to hear how difficult things must be for you. Hopefully, I'll get a good response from my G.P. and I'll pop back if/when I know more.

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options

I have the same issue, pins and needles in my arm, numb patches in my lower limbs and burning in my legs, I’m told that it is confused signals from the brain, they should be interpreted as pain but due to the above you get what we’ve described.

its a grin, honest!

• Megrose489
    edited 16. Mar 2020, 14:57
    Options

Thanks Airwave!. I hadn't realised that it's confused signals from the brain. The GP phoned this afternoon and I was the first patient to use the new video consultation system - brilliant! He's brought it in just at the right time. He's arranged to see me this afternoon for a steroid injection into the painful shoulder as, according to the scan, there is definitely OA in that joint. I've had steroid injections before, but only into my hands. He's also going to have a look at the right shoulder with pins and needles, so not sure what he's going to do about that, if anything.

Many, many years ago I had a motorbike accident. I was a pillion passenger, we went into the back of a car which had stopped suddenly, I flew over my boyfriend's head and landed on the road on my right shoulder. Could this sort of thing affect joints, even if it was so long ago?

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options

The answer is a yes, I had a big accident at 21, flew over the top of a car and landed on top of another, broken bits, concussion etc etc, the doctor came round and said I would get oa in later life, unfortunately I already had it! I don’t suppose it helped my condition.