Vibration Plates and Osteoarthritis

Options
Hi, I regularly used to use vibro plates to tone my body, I bought one to use at home and would stand on it whilst watching the tv. But since being diagnosed with severe advanced osteoarthritis in my hip I have been unsure if I should use it? I'm not able to walk far as it causes so much pain and now my legs are looking flabby as they aren't exercising enough, my question is would it be safe to carry on using it?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I exercise my leg muscles using resistance bands, weights and walking unaided. I have PsA in all my toes and both knees and OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options

I have OA from top to bottom and regularly exercise by cycling, I can’t walk without pain Or stand for too long but on my bike is ok for short periods.

• TUGLOCK
    TUGLOCK Member Posts: 1
    Options

Looking on the internet whole body vibration seems to be very helpful for arthritis in general but manufacturers would say that, wouldn't they? I would love to know if there is any independent evidence. I am particularly anxious not to do anything which could damage my hip joints.

Tuglock

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Morning Everyone,

I personally don't have experience in the vibration plates or using them. If you haven't already have a word with your Rheumatologist to see if they can give you any advice as they would know about your condition.

I have attached the link to the Versus Arthritis Website. Have a look around as there might be something on there regarding your question.

Stay Safe

AJ_x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Difficult to know isn't it @TUGLOCK

Can you borrow or hire one to try for a week or so? You would know pretty quickly l would have thought if it was doing harm.🤔

With all exercise I think it's best to start of gently and see.

I can see though you would maybe fear 'putting something out'??? by rattling your body. Maybe starting with some of the other exercises suggested is a better idea?

Have you seen this?

• Pic
    Pic Member Posts: 4
    Options

I know this is an old post, but thought I'd answer in case somebody was looking for an answer.

When I saw my consultant in May (hip osteoarthritis), he advised it was perfectly fine to use a vibroplate for my condition. I use it it for 10 mins most days.