Knee replacement operation update

Options
Rob
Rob Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi guys, Firstly wanted to thank you all for signing my campaign for reducing NHS waiting times for joint replacements. Just wanted to let you all know that I recently received my operation date, for my first knee operation for 15th April but sadly this has now been cancelled due to the Coronavirus situation.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi Rob and welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

Great news that you have had at least a provisional date for your knee operation, such that even though it is cancelled it has put you in the system for when some sort of normality returns 😊

Versus Arthritis has a great campaign for urgent action to fix joint replacement waiting times. You can read more about it here in our post here on the forums:

Our pain can’t wait. Fix joint replacement waiting times.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Rob
    Options
    Hi Brynmor, yes I’m Rob the face behind the campaign your referring too 😊
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi Rob #waves# 😄

• cazmarelda
    Options

25 years ago I was diagnosed with osteo in both knees. I was 39. I have somehow managed until around 8 years ago when lumber arthritis joined with my knees and cervical spine to cause more intense pain. I have been seeing a consultant orthopaedic surgeon for 8 years on and off and asking for knee replacements. Fist he said I was 'too young' and them my 'BMI was too high' and so I have done all the GP referral courses to lose weight and then the CCG decided to drop the BMI again. I have wished I was out of this pain so much and yet have kept on trying to get some relief. I was made to feel 'less than' because of my weight. I had fulfilled the criteria for TKR's and nothing. So I challenged the consultant about if he had 'any intention of ever doing my knee replacements'and he finally admitted that because of a congenital issue I have he would not be able to do it. I was referred by him to another consultant and now its been discovered it is my hips that are at fault and I will need hip replacements at some point, but I can have TKR's in the usual way. I feel I have been waiting forever and once the corona-virus is past I am hopeful I will get one knee replaced. I have no joints that are not now affected by osteo. I sometimes wonder 'Do i have a low pain threshold?' because at times the pain is too much and my mobility is so restricted that I do wonder what is the use? Thank you for trying to reduce waiting times. I have just wasted 8 years backwards and forwards to a consultant who did not know how to deal with my congenital issue, which was thought to be in the legs. My knees are a total mess and I feel anger towards a system that would not listen. Good luck for those who will have dates when the corona-virus is over and I hope I have also, just a little relief would be good. My mobility is terrible and I never thought arthritis would be so terribly painful, even the base of my thumbs cause such pain. I have had toes straightened and so many procedures that did not help, time goes so slowly when you are in pain. So pleased I found this site. I have one on sorry. Good luck everyone. x

• Rob
    Options
    Hello Cazmarrlda, I’m so sorry to hear of your situation and pain your experiencing. I understand where your coming from as I too often think can pain get any worse and do I just accept and live through pain thresholds. It’s so unfair. Let’s hope Coronavirus will be over soon and we can get the treatment we deserve and have waited long enough for. I wish you all the best and please keep in touch.
  • Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hello Cazmarrlda I can fell the frustration in your post it is difficult dealing with constant pain I struggle with my right knee three operations and hardly no cartilage left causes me no end of pain, people look at you and because you may look ok, they cant understand why you are in pain. I am currently waiting for a final decision knee, Rob is right we do not deserve to wait so long to be sorted I am 47 years old people keep telling me I am to young for replacement knee but age should not count it should out quality of life, so what if it wears out in 20 years or so, I can live with that, You have my full sympathy, stay safe and stay in touch, all the best.

• jax
    jax Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this forum. Not really sure yet if I'm writing on the proper part... sorry if I'm am and going off an ongoing subject... I have 2 total knee replacements, one was May last year the other was January this year... my concern is although they both were successful last night i had a flare up.. totally out if the blue, my medication has been working fine, i can't remember the last time I was in so much pain... I thought my knees would have been fine when flare ups happens but they too were swollen and sore... .my question is, can certain foods cause flare ups? And why would my knees still get effected? Take care Jax
  • Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    Options

Hi and welcome Jax,you will get all the advice and answers you seek from the members here - they are knowledgeable and friendly and will help where possible,

Al

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I answered on LWA. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben