Hydroxychloroquine

Has anyone out there heard of shortage of this drug Hydroxychloroquine due to the discovery that it might aid in the recovery of Covid 19 virus?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi JAF54 lovely to see you join our online community.

"Hydroxychloroquine is a disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD). It regulates the activity of the immune system, which may be overactive in some conditions. Hydroxychloroquine can modify the underlying disease process, rather than simply treating the symptoms."

You can read more about this on our website here:

There is yet no evidence for any drug to provide relief or aid recovery for Covid-19, although research is being undertaken as fast as possible to find one.

You can read more about our current advice regarding Covid-19 here on our website.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Shortages of OTC medications are apparently happening as the great British unintelligentsia continue to panic-buy stuff they don't need for stuff they don't have. This hydroxy rumour strikes me as nothing more than social media doing its unsocial best to cause further alarm.

Stay well, stay safe. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Brychni
    Brychni Member Posts: 2

yep. People are already being told that their prescriptions cannot be fulfilled. Many have delays and gaps in their medication. I have heard this from members of the NRAS Healthunlocked forum. I started to panic about it as I've only been on it for 3 weeks and had initially been unsure about whether I should take it or not because of the side effects. After a chat with the rheumatology nurse who told me in no uncertain terms that I would be stupid no to, I started immediately. So far no ill effects apart from wind (!).

I was also told that I would not be able to put in for my new tablets (got about 20 left) until I had 2 to go. So I called around the pharmacies in the area and not one of them had the Zentiva which I have been prescribed. The nurse had said I should stay on that and not other brands. Some had Quinoric but only one or 2 packs and 2 out 5 said they were unable to get any more of any brand.

I had to wait to call my pharmacy as it is within the surgery, when I got through they said it was on order and there was nothing to say it was out of stock and they were expecting it. Will be interesting to see what happens.

The Lupus UK website has taken up the cause here is the link to their info page:

https://www.lupusuk.org.uk/covid19-hydroxychloroquine/ last updated on 2nd April.

• Annj
    Annj Member Posts: 59

Hi Brychni

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experience and for finding this article from the Guardian. Interesting read.

Do let us know how things go in terms of getting supplies of your medication.

Best wishes,

Ann