Sudden hearing loss

Options
Goggy
Goggy Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone

l have sudden hearing loss in one ear and have read that this can be attributed to my Psoriatic Arthritis? Has this happened to anyone else on here and if so what treatment did you receive and did your hearing improve?

I'm currently on fortnightly injections of Amgevita and noticed that after my last injection a fortnight ago my symptoms improved but 2 days ago I became completely deaf in the one ear, which incidentally corresponds with worsening PsA pain etc for the last 2 days. It will be interesting to see if the hearing comes back after today's injection.

I realise I should contact the GP & I will but have been putting it off due to the current corona virus crisis!

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi Goggy,

Welcome to the community, thank you for joining us.

I have some information here about the biologic Amgevita which is usually known as Adalimumab

You are quite right that hearing loss can be attributed to psoriatic arthritis or other autoimmune conditions so it is worth mentioning this to your rheumatology team. It's always best to inform them straight away if you develop any 'unusual' symptoms even though many may not be linked as there are occasions when odd things are important, my daughter had itchy palms and feet which helped to diagnose her gall stone issue!

Please let us know how you get on - in the mean time take a look at our other categories/discussions and join in wherever you feel comfortable

Take care

Yonne x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I have PsA and had no idea that hearing loss was associated with it. I've never been convinced that a GP could be of much help with matters connected to an auto-immune arthritis but in this instance I would ring my rheumatology helpline and leave a message and contact my GP for a telephone consultation. Good luck and please let us know how you get on. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Goggy
    Goggy Member Posts: 3
    Options

So I had a telephone appointment with a GP today who completely dismissed my fear that the hearing loss could be linked to my PsA. He was quite rude/abrasive but I will let that go as all health professionals must be under such strain at the moment. He told me to speak to Rheumatology nurse & I've sent her an email but don't expect a reply anytime soon as I know the department is incredibly busy. Stay safe everyone! X