Broken heart

Today we had to have our beloved Staffy cross Mutley put to sleep after a short but rapid illness. He has been a source of love and joy to us for over 8 and a half years. He was a rescue from the dog pound after he had been found wandering, they were going to destroy him a day early when a charity we know rescued him 2 hours before the vet was due. Our lives will be so empty this is the first time we haven't had a dog in over 17 years and have had dogs for 33 of the 36 years of our marriage. But e have so many lovely memories of him our walks will be so much quieter without him making his clucky chicken noise when he was excited.

I am sure when the time is right we will find another dog to give a loving home to and I am sure there will be many dogs looking for new homes once this crisis is over. Our cats are looking for him Toby has no one to share the fire with.It was a hard decision but the right one for our boy the vet was lovely as she allowed him to remain in our car and not be taken away into the surgery ( owners have to stay outside while their animals are treated) and he fell asleep in my lap ( they put a drip into his leg and administered the drugs from a distance).

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

So sorry to hear the news, I know how much pets mean, I certainly would have a hard job living without my Vixen. The decision would not have been easy but you did the right thing. xx

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

Thanks Mike

• MazFox26
    MazFox26 Member Posts: 9

So sorry for your loss Stellabean. Our animals are so much part of the family, aren't they? I hope your very happy memories of Mutley will entertain you in the coming years and I am also sure that you will make wonderful carers for another lucky dog soon. Take care, M xx

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782

That is so very sad Stellabean, I know only too well It's not an easy decision to have to make. but if you can, take comfort that Mutley had a happy life with you and has given you many lovely memories.

There will be another lovely companion just waiting for you when the time is right for you.

Take care

Angela xx

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625

I'm sorry too, Stella. It must be strange to be without a dog after over 17 years. It's lovely that you gave Mutley a loving home for such a long time, and I'm sure you're right that there'll be plenty of dogs looking for a new home after the crisis. I'm glad the vet was so kind 💟

Best wishes,

Phee

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • stellabean

Thanks for your thoughts we have experience of taking dogs with problems, we had a ridgeback afraid of her own shadow, Mutley was thought to have been a bait dog for fighting that was why the pound was going to put him to sleep but he was a lover not a fighter I am so glad the charity allowed us to take him on.We know there is another dog looking for a fireside to call their own we will find them.

• phoenixoxo

You're welcome, Stella. That's a wonderful thing you're doing, taking dogs with problems. I once lived next door to a couple who'd taken in a very nervous greyhound. Lucy was frightened of everyone and everything for a while, but in time she gained some confidence, which was lovely to see 😊

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • stellabean

Unfortunately we never cured our darling girl of her fear she had been the victim of some terrible treatment, it was suspected that an attempt was made to cut her paws off, thankfully it failed. Daily we walked past an elderly lady's home and no matter how many times we said please don't try to stroke our dog let her come to you she would try. One day I ended up being dragged over the top of a wheelie bin and broke my hand on the handle of the extendable lead, our neighbour got the hint, and our dog eventually let her stroke her. I am still looking for Mutlley to come out in the garden with me and it is so weird when I get up early and he isn't here, he had got quite good at helping move our 4 sheep they don't take much notice of me!

• phoenixoxo

That's terrible, about trying to cut off a dog's paws ☹️ Yes, we were told to be gentle with Lucy and we always were, but other people would be a bit hearty with her and she'd start shaking and straining very hard at the lead, poor thing. I hope your hand recovered. I think it's natural to still be looking for Mutley, as it takes time to adjust to pets not being with us any more x

• stellabean

Yes it took several weeks but meant I am careful how I hold an extendable lead now. Mutley was such a big character after his tea he would run around the house for about 30 mins squeaking a toy jumping on and off the couch and tipping it over so it is sooooo quiet. We know we gave him a lovely life and he gave us so many lovely memories.

• phoenixoxo

Yes, being dragged over a wheelie bin would make you careful in the future! Mutley sounds like a real character and it's great that you have so many memories to treasure x