I Have my Letter

Options

It arrived today and was sent from my GPs' surgery. It confirmed the info that was sent in a text earlier this week but I noted that, as I suspected, people on immuno-suppression therapy for unspecified conditions are fifth on a list of six (in descending order of risk). I have added my NHS and NI number to my meds list I keep in my purse.

I have only left the house once in the past 26 days and won't be doing so again until my next bloods are due. I probably now have enough official ammunition to register on the official website for the vulnerable and may also try to reregister with Sainsbury's for home deliveries as a belt-and-braces approach in case The Spouse is struck down. My husband has further increased his hygiene levels, he spent the afternoon mucking about in the garage (and wandering down to the bins, I dread to think what items of mine have been chucked out!) and has put all his clothing on a hot wash.

i was chatting to someone earlier today, on the phone, who was adamant that because she was only on leflunomide and hydroxy she would not be getting a letter. Her arguement was that because, in her opinion, lef was not as 'strong' as meth or cyclosporine etc. she would be OK. Huh? DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Funny as when I asked my rheumatologist about a possible letter, he said Meth was on the list but Lef wasn’t, I’m on Lef and not getting one.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options

This is good news, DD. Yes, we're in fifth position out of six. I think all my admin's in order, but I should probably re-check things.

Last week my supermarket identified me as a vulnerable person, and it was possible to book a slot for my carer to collect my shopping a couple of days ago (collection on Tuesday, that is). We prefer the click-and-collect approach, but if she has to take time off work I have the option of arranging a home delivery. It's great that Mr DD is being so hygienic, but I hope he hasn't thrown out any of your treasured possessions!

Best wishes,

Phee

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I am pleased, Phee, that all your ducks, are like mine, in a row (or at least being arranged). I have now taken the next step of registering on the government's vulnerable list despite not being in immediate need of help.

Isn't it odd? We have a beautiful day here and the garden looks inviting but I am totally not in the mood to dig out our spider-ridden garden chairs. Come Monday when the weather is promised to be grotty I daresay I will be champing at the bit to get out. DD

• phoenixoxo
    Options

Well, the ducks are being arranged, DD, at least for now; they might have to shift about a bit as the weeks roll on. For example, sadly my carer has recently found out that her mother is seriously ill, so I might need to rethink things as early as next week if she requires time off.

It's a good idea to register on the list, just in case we need help later down the line 👍️

There's been plenty of sun here today too, but with hardly any breeze so it feels quite stuffy. According to the Beeb, there might be thundery showers tomorrow afternoon, which would clear the air nicely. Then Monday looks cooler and fresher, perhaps for you, Mr DD and the spiders too 😊🕷️🕷️

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options

Today I received two further letters, almost identical in content, one from my rheumatologist and the other from the GPs surgery. I have to begin 12 weeks shielding starting today (Carry on Shielding, the film they never made) and of course I will.

I expect lockdown will begin to ease in a few weeks' time but that will not apply to me. I suspect that for many shielding will remain in place until a vaccine is created. DD

• phoenixoxo
    Options

DD, your letters arrived about a month after mine! Well, as always, we have to allow for 'regional variations', I suppose. And yes, I agree we'll likely be shielding until a vaccine becomes available. I've heard estimates ranging from this Autumn to the middle of next year.

I hope you've had a pleasant weekend. I haven't logged in for a while, as a few things have taken over here. With all good wishes for the week ahead, Phee 🙂

• dreamdaisy
    Options

Phee, I am concerned. I hope all is as well as it can be and if not that they improve soon so the giddy heights of moderately grotty are scaled once more.

I have had three letters to date and fully expect to keep receiving them on a monthly basis. I am quite prepared for this shielding to continue and do not expect to see friends until 2021. I am concerned for The Spouse should this prove to be the case - don't mind it for me but feel awful for him. :( DD

• phoenixoxo
    Options

Thanks for your concern, DD 🙂

I've had a few extra health troubles lately, but they're just coming under control. The main problem is that all the additional time in ill-health management has made things a bit tricky on the work front, but I think I'm on track to meet various deadlines through May and June. Really I feel lucky to be earning still 👍️

Perhaps we need a drinking game (virtual and/or real) for each time we receive a fresh letter! Spouses could join in too. Like you I feel prepared for further shielding. What are Mr DD's interests? Does he partake of Zoom?

• dreamdaisy
    edited 7. May 2020, 20:58
    Options

Today I received another letter from the GPs surgery, almost a month to the day from the first and no different to any of the others in content. I wonder if this is going to be a regular occurrence until there is a vaccine (but in all honesty I suspect it's more a case of beauracratic confusion). I suppose I am starting another three months of shielding. Ho-hum.

Time is passing pleasantly enough, I am keeping myself occupied with exercise, card making and waging war on dandelions: I enjoy their splash of vibrant yellow but as soon as the clocks appear I rip 'em out. The card making is a new interest, I have started die cutting amd embossing. Of necessity they are anything but frilly and fancy (think 1930s railway posters and you get the idea) and they are going down a storm with housebound neighbours in need of birthday, new baby and bereavement cards. Being free might have summat to do with that. Shame no-one is moving house, I have some cracking Hallowe'en spooky gothic mansion dies, I could not resist their wonderful outlines. DD

• silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    Options
    @dreamdaisy Hi, what’s the date on your new letter?, mine is now June 30th. Seems a long time considering the expectation is this evening Boris is updating suggesting people can go back to work.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options

The date of the letter is April 2020, the same as the other three which is why I think it's an admin splat rather than new instructions. DD