Ankolysing spondylosis and poly arthritis

Options
System
System Administrator Posts: 45
This discussion was created from comments split from: Readers Say Hi.

Comments

• Ange
    Ange Member Posts: 2
    edited 11. Apr 2020, 08:48
    Options

Hi. I'm another newbie here. 70 years old, first diagnosed with ankylosing spondylosis of the cervical spine at 34 with degenerative disc disease thrown in. From then ongoing 'visits' by poly arthritis continue to date. Mid/late 40s osteoarthritis diagnosed. First hip replacement at 54 which has since be redone. Second hip also now done (can't remember when (without looking it up) as cancer interrupted things 5 yrs ago..!) Many varied minor ops for pins and bone extractions here and there too...One way or another I have many reasons to be VERY thankful to the NHS for keeping me going. I had many years of anti-inflammatory meds in the early years which resulted in other medical problems. Now I try and deal with the pain with mindfulness meditations and a very occasional codydramol when I'm not successful with the meditation..! Most recent 'problem' is occasional vertigo (doc reckons is due to cervical problems) which is a real nuisance as the only 'useful' thing I do is ferrying folk around as a volunteer driver. Any ideas on how to defeat this latest visitor would be gratefully received. Sorry this is such an extended post... it's been a few years since I was 34..!!

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi Ange,

Welcome to the forum, it’s great to get to chat to you. You seem to be managing your symptoms really well and keeping cheerful too which is fantastic and something lots of our readers new to an arthritis diagnosis need to see, thanks for posting about that

Your issue now is vertigo. Your gp thinks it is probably caused by the neck vertebrae, something I know about, having it myself. If you can’t comfortably turn your head or if you get a dizzy spell you shouldn’t really be driving you know. I know it sounds harsh but we have to face it.

Add to that your age and the gvt guidelines are very clear, anyone over 70 should be taking special care around isolating. If you are driving people around you are less than 6 feet apart so are at risk every journey of catching COVID-19. You may think that’s fine and it may be however facts show that those over 70 are more likely to need hospital or intensive care, and that results in more nurses/doctors etc being put at risk to care for you.

Oh dear this seems a very pessimistic post, there are other ways you could help your community, does your local town have a website putting volunteers and those in need together? You might find a way forward volunteering there, chatting to isolated 'neighbours', helping with advice and such.

Take care

Yvonne x

• Ange
    Ange Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Yvonne

Many thanks for your reply. I should have made it more clear in my post that the vertigo obviously prevented me from driving when it first arrived (the worst thing about it.) and of course I couldn't drive... It came on a while ago and has since improved a little anyway thank goodness... I am self isolating anyway at the moment and have been from the outset; I've been under 'lockdown' from the beginning. Our organisation has been fortunate enough to recruit some younger volunteers so they're doing all the work at the moment..! I shall continue with my online studying which has kept me (sort of) sane for years ;-) I'm very fortunate to have online deliveries and have family too. We speak at a distance/online etc...

My query was is there any accredited treatment for the vertigo/dizziness caused by the cervical problems? I've found some advice online but would rather rely on other sufferers accounts or research by known organisations really.

Again, thank you for getting back to me so quickly...I didn't expect any reply yet at all..!

Kind regards

Ange x

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi Ange,

Well that’s a relief! You had me worried there x

About treatment, I was lucky there. When I was first diagnosed I was put on an anti inflammatory medication- didn’t do much generally but I suddenly found I could turn my head, I hadn’t realised it was a problem! I’d been driving turning using my shoulders if you can imagine. It was a clear sign this arthritis wasn’t just my hands.

Ive stayed on them but had to stop for my new knee, and within days my neck was truly painful, creaky, dizzying the lot. Thankfully I was fine when I could restart them. I’m not sure it will help, if it does I’ll be thrilled for you

Take care

Yvonne x

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options

Hi, Re: the vertigo, if the problem is spinal then stabilise the area where it happening, gentle exercise, no twisting or bending. It may not stop what’s already happening but it will contribute to a slow down of a worsening situation? Any small gain is a plus and you’ll feel better for making a positive effort.

its a grin, honest!