Flare up

Options
Hi I'm new to this forum. I have 2 total hi I'm new to this. Only joined this morning.
I had 2 knee replacements, one was May last year the other was January this year... my concern is although they both were successful last night i had a flare up.. totally out if the blue, my medication has been working fine, i can't remember the last time I was in so much pain... I thought my knees would have been fine when flare ups happens but they too were swollen and sore... .my question is, can certain foods cause flare ups? And why would my knees still get effected? I have already posted this but i think it was in the wrong section of topics, sorry if you have already seen this. Take care Jax

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 15. Apr 2020, 14:18
    Options

Hello, I know about yukky knees and flares as my knees have two kinds of arthritis in them and both are bone-on-bone. What kind of arthritis caused the need for replacement and what meds are you taking? It is hard to suggest possible reasons why this has happend with so little to go on, I apologise for being so unhelpful. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • HelenP
    HelenP Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hello - I've been off the radar for a while - changed my email address and laptop - nightmare! Anyway hopefully I'm back. I, too, have had a flare up the last 24 hours for no real reason - I've been waiting for surgery for more than a year now (hip and/knee).…….ok so stress can cause it but my stress levels were as normal (bordering on panic attacks) - all I had done was sit in the sun yesterday - it was hot but there was a bitter wind - whether that was the cause I've no idea. Even today pain is making me feel slightly sick but I keep going. I nearly rang youi for help - i'm always scared that by simply carrying on doing chores and walking every half an hour or so could be doing something frightful to the joints - who knows. I think some of it is the fact that we can no long talk to a gp or pharmacist to offer any medication that actually works. So.……..I've taken it upon myself to order some CBD oil and truly hope that at least some improvement will happen. But do know what - I'm truly scared of this situation BUT there are so many suffering with other things that I must be grateful it's only wretched joints. All for now Helen.

• jax
    jax Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi thanks for getting back.. yes I never gave much away, I was in that much pain earlier. Its rheumatoid arthritis i have, been diagnosed 14 years now. I'm currently on salvasalazine and Etanercept prefilled injection pen (weekly ) and pain killers. I used to do a lot of bodybuilding and powelifting so there were a lot of wear and tear in my joints to start with. I came back from South Africa after a competition and fell in, the Dr said i had an Virol Infection and it wasn't long after that I was diagnosed with RA. after my total knee replacements, I have been absolutely brilliant and pain free.. well until yesterday! ... I thought my knees would no longer get flare ups but they did big time... I made a chilli on Monday, I used tinned tomatoes normally everything would be fresh, but not being able to go out i used what I had. Anyway I have put my flare up down to the acid in the tomatoes, but because I wasn't sure i though i would ask. I'm currently shielding due to my injection. I'm an NHS nurse and my ward manager contacted me about the risk I would be in working in the ward's. I still haven't
    received a letter though. I starting to feel
    better thus afternoon hence the long reply lol.. hope yous are all well. Take care Jax
  • jax
    jax Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi again.. I contacted my Rhummy nurse he said it sounds like more of an over exertion complaint... then I remember being on my running machine, I think I clocked up 6 miles... in saying that I walked 6 miles lol.. my jogging days are well past. So I told him that and he said that was more likely the reason, a build up of fluid, then reminded me that I'm still recovering as it could take up to two years to fully heal 😬.. he reassured me that you can't have a flare up on artificial joints 🤭 kinda obvious really... anyway the swelling has gone down thankfully, probably back to normal in a few days. It's kinda hard because when your pain free you think you can move a mountain, i just need to learn that isn't the case, ah still need to take things easy, however am determined not to let RA get in my way of anything, just maybe walk one mile at a time 🤭 lol.. thanks again for your replies. Take care Jax