Saying Hello

Options
mcmitty71
mcmitty71 Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi my name is Kirsteen, i live in Glasgow. Im 49 years old & have RA & OA. Im self isolating for 12 weeks and are 4 weeks down now. Im on Methotrexate & Simponi. Have had arthritis for 9 years. How are everyone else coping with Self Isolation?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Hello, I am 60, have psoriatic arthritis (I began in 1997) and inject humira fortnightly, methotrexate weekly. I began shielding six weeks ago and so far so good. I am an only child and used to keeping myself occupied and distracted so this is is only a more intense version of normal life. On my better days I would go into town and look around the shops, or go out for lunch with my husband, but obviously none of that is going on.

I am fortunate to live in a house with a garden so I am able to get out for some sunshine. I am keeping busy making greetings cards for housebound neighbours in addition to my usual activities of reading, doing puzzles of all kinds and exercising.

How are you finding it? DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mcmitty71
    Options
    I am myself, i live 16 floors up in block of flats. See my parents usually weekly, they dont live far from me. I get my groceries & meducation delivered. I have really nice neighbours and concuerges in my building checking on me every 3 days. Speak to my parents every few days. Really missing my family. I do my Methotrexate on a Sunday & Simponi every 4 weeks, on a Friday. I watch a lot of tv and listen to music
  • Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 797
    Options

Hi Kirsteen welcome to the forum, glad you have found us yes isolation can be very lonely. Everyone on this forum is very friendly and everyone is understanding of arthritis as we all have various forms of it.

All the best on the forum

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dez12
    dez12 Member Posts: 2
    Options

HI its denise,, live in Yorkshire, im okay, but we all have to take care,, have got arthritis, and ostio, had this for over 10 years,, can be very painfull, and on, salavazine, etc,, does not help much, but I cant take anything else,, have to keep busy, when can🍉

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi Denise,

Welcome to the online community, I hope you will make it your home now you are here and share stories, hints and tips with your fellow members.

I'm guessing you have a type of inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis too. I'm glad the sulfasalazine is of some use, sometimes it's only when we have to stop a medication for a little while that we realise it was doing something worthwhile!

Keeping busy right now is a good way to go - I think it's also good to have a routine too, I got all confused over the Easter break and got my days proper muddled up, I think I am just about back to knowing which day it is again. Have you taken up any new hobbies - or resumed some that you had nearly forgotten about? I've just taken out a jigsaw to do, it's one of Monet's watercolours and was a present recently that I didn't get around to doing.

Looking forward to hearing how you are using your time, and how you are keeping in touch with loved ones too

Take care

Yvonne x

• mcmitty71
    Options
    Hi, everday feels the same at the moment. Every morning i wake up i have to think what day it is. I will see so glad when it comes to june and i can be with my family and friends again. At times like this you take your family and friends for granted. My family mean the world to me. At least i can keep in touch with them by phone etc.
  • Megi56
    Megi56 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Social isolation is nothing new to me. My degenerative spinal condition has kept me limited of mobility for several years. Then the DWP decided that I'm not disabled enough to qualify for the Higher Rate of the PIP. After ten years of receiving the Higher Rate of the DLA......Cut my monthly income by half. I appealed. Waited months for that to occur. Had loads of supporting paperwork from docs, but panel decided that I had to be awarded the lower benefit. So, I live with the everyday pain of my spinal condition and the increasing pain of the osteoarthritis in my right hand. Everything I used to be able to do by way of pastimes is now impossible. Writing letters, making jewellery. Playing guitar. All lost to the increasing swelling in my right hand. Maxed on Co-codamol. I feel like I've been abandoned.

• Megi56
    Megi56 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I posted how I feel right now. You tell me my post is one character too short.....? PLEASE! How many characters does one need? And do you imagine that, when one is writing a post, one is counting every character.....?

• MarzMac
    MarzMac Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi @Megi56

I see you've been awarded the lower rate of PIP as well as having increasing pain from osteoarthritis. I wonder if you would be comfortable talking to someone on our helpline perhaps? Each member of the helpline team are trained and have extensive knowledge of different types of arthritis and are updated regularly on new developments. https://www.versusarthritis.org/get-help/

We also have some information on different way to manage pain including a section on hand and wrist pain https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/hand-and-wrist-pain/ and another on back pain https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/.

I hope some of this might be helpful.

Marion (moderator)