Isolating

Has everyone had a letter and phone call from nhs and gp that they have to self isolate for 12 weeks like myself.

Comments

• ziggyblue
    ziggyblue Member Posts: 13

Had text, then letter a week later to say I should be shielding. No phone call, so that seems to vary by borough.

I’m less worried by this initial period, than by what happens when restrictions are eased but we are still waiting for vaccine... are those on vulnerable lists still expected to self-isolate until vaccine ready? That will be 12-18 months!

• dana1957
    dana1957 Member Posts: 1

YES I HAVE THIS LETTER. MY HUSBAND HAS THIS LETTER.

• Gemthom85
    Gemthom85 Member Posts: 26
    I was told by rheumatology that i was to social distance and self isolate at descression however 2 weeks later my gp told me to shield.
    Now my gp is saying i dont fall into shielding grp and the guidelines had changed..... i dont understand how that can happen but hey ho.
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi Dana and welcome to the Online Community.

Do tell us a bit more about yourself and also join in across the different categories.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

The various terminologies are confusing in themselves. These are general and maybe idealistic guidelines, anything but specific, as individual circumstances vary.

1. Social distancing: when out and about staying at least six feet apart from others.

2. Shielding: to remain indoors until further notice.

3. Self-isolation: should one catch covid then you stay alone in one room, have food left outside the door, do not share a bed.

People taking immuno-suppressant meds should be shielding, regardless of how they feel in themselves. We are slow to produce symptoms so, if at work, could unknowingly infect others. Likewise, they could unknowingly infect us because anyone can have it and not know. I began shielding at the beginning of March and fully expect to be doing so for most of this year. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gemthom85
    Dreamdaisey i agree, but the gov guidelines do not allow for that. Only people listed as shielding are afforded that oportunity. I have to work as i am a key worker and i do not fall under shielding. i am on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I have the luxury of being retired but, key worker or not, surely you should not be working for the reason of risk. I know from reading threads on here that other key workers have been sent home by employers (in one case the NHS) and feel they should be at work. No-one seems happy with whatever decision is made concerning them.

In the past I have unwitingly infected people but usually only with a cold. This virus can be a killer, if I passed it on and the person died I don't know how I would cope with that. This pandemic was, for many years, a future risk so, as long as it stayed safely in the future, no-one bothered. Then the future arrived . .. . and as usual humanity has been found ill-prepared. You could set a date for Armageddon and people would ignore it. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gemthom85
    Completely agree.
    Work wise. The info i have had so far is either provided a shielding letter or return to work. I was even threatened by my line manager and hr. All about wellbeing at my place.😂

You will never please everyone but there is no consistency across the 'United' country. People are reading gov guidelines and coming up with their own theory. I believe everyone who is at risk should have a choice and the choice discussed with a medical professional. Not everything is black an white.
  • KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    Hi Gemthom85,I completely understand and agree with you. Like you,my employer will only accept a shielding letter, which I don't have even tho I'm on prednisolone and methotrexate. Had 2 conversations with rheumy nurse about it,I now give up. It's taking too much of my energy and stress levels to fight them anymore.
  • Gemthom85
    Thats so sad. Especially when i read people on the same meds in the same category are shielding. Not to deprive them of it! But there still has to be abit of come an go on overall circumstances. My arthritis is all over the place just now. Im prone to infections, despite normal hand hygiene.
    In a normal office environment i wouldnt be as worried however 3 people have developed symptoms at my work as social distancing cannot be done. My employers say that as long as i can social distance then its ok. But there is little ventilation an i am sharing kitchen an toilet facilities with those not social distancing. Its only a matter of time before i contract it.
  • timmyc
    timmyc Member Posts: 2

Hello all!

I haven't received any contact from my rheumatology department or GP and I take adalimumab as an injection every two weeks. I had to contact them in the first few weeks of the lockdown and they could only give me basic advice. Some was helpful, other was very much "wait and see."

I work in a supermarket, and therefore considered essential, but I personally chose to self-isolate for 12 weeks, despite not receiving any letters, texts or phone calls. I just sent my line manager all the information I was given and referred to and she said "Ok."

It seems to me it is very much a case-by-case situation. Information is being interpreted differently and people need to do what's best for them.

(I have been reading the forums here for a while now, since the lockdown started, but I'm glad I signed up now to share my experiences and talk to other people. 🙂)

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @timmyc

How wonderful that you've taken the big step to join and make it your community and share your thoughts and ideas. I must confess that is how I thought the self isolating choice would work but different firms seem to have different interpretations, I guess nothing is foolproof.

Did you go on furlough?

It's such a shame @Gemthom85 that you cant reply to your employer and say actually you can't socially distance yourself.

I wish you loads of luck in your situation

Yvonne x

• timmyc
    timmyc Member Posts: 2

@YvonneH I am on authorised paid leave for the 12 weeks I'm off, two of those weeks have to be taken as holiday, then I'm expected to return to work.