Gardening - what's going on in your garden

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Well DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very proud of you @stellabean and of course your husband for all he does to keep the site tip-top 🙂

• dij1966
    dij1966 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hi...new to the site, but love gardening so thought I would join in. I've been wfh since March and have enjoyed the extra hours not having to commute being in my garden. I have grown so many things this year from bedding plants to beans, peas etc. I had so many that I ended putting them at the bottom of my drive for people passing by on their evening walk.

Mike1 I grew cougettes from seed, very, very easy to grow. However I don't like throwing things away and ended up with 15 plants around the garden, they do get quite big! We have now tried courgettes cooked 4 ways! Ha ha. Try that next year, seeds already in the shops.

It is also the first year we had goldfinches nest in the half dead budlea and I have waited patiently for frogs for 6 years and now have 3.

I am now in the process of taking cuttings and collecting seeded.

Gardening is such a good way to take your mind off things.

• frogmorton
    Options
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Oh yes, that's me!! I have three new plants waiting for other plants to die back before I can dig them up with a clear conscience and plant the new ones. My mother's even worse. We often buy plants that she has no space for so the £5 plant turns into £30 as we have to buy a pot and compost as well!

• frogmorton
    Options

Totally me too Lilymary😁

I have bought a haul of seeds ready for next year hope I can find space for everything!

• dij1966
    Options

Ha ha that is me too! When we go to the garden centre...I find a lovely plant...my hubby says 'where will we put it' I say 'I don't know I will find somewhere!' I have also started buying plants from the 'pot luck" section. Most of the time all they need is water and this year have found some lovely plants for 50p! Happy Days! Xx

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Options

I have had some lovely plants from the reduced section too a bit of TLC and they repay your faith ten fold.My solution to more space is nibbling away at the edge of Hubby's lawn to make the borders wider if I do it slowly enough he doesn't notice until it is too late. Though he will help to make new areas if it is for ferns or hollies ( his 2 favorites). My pond pump broke last week and I was disappointed not to be able to buy a replacement part for it,it was only 20yrs old!. I have cleared some of the congested plants to make it more open but I could be persuaded to get a new plant if one took my fancy.

• Lilymary
    Options

I view every dead plant as a purchasing opportunity!

• Lilymary
    Options

A few pics from the garden at the weekend, rudbeckia is a wonderful late summer plant, it pops its head up from the summer flowers that are dying back and shouts “look at me!”. My roses are also giving a last “hurrah” with a second bloom to cheer up the end of summer.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Lovely cat.

• frogmorton
    Options

Lilymary

Lovely pics I must upload some from my garden I have taken loads this summer...

I also 'rescue' plants which would otherwise have been 'binned' and wht not? It's worth a try.

GORGEOUS PUSSKIN 😻

• frogmorton
    edited 24. Sep 2020, 06:54
    Options

Please ignore the weed in the back ground!😳

• Mike1
    Options

I ordered some plants on-line which arrived yesterday. I got a white clematis which arrived in a box just the right size as it was 3ft tall; I also order 3 old english lavenders which were small plants, about 6 inches tall which arrived in a separate 3ft high box! The cat and I managed to plant them yesterday before the heavens opened.

• frogmorton
    Options

What did Vixen make of the lovely boxes????

• Mike1
    Options

She loved them until she got distracted by a cabbage white butterfly and launched herself into my olive tree, needless to say I had to rescue her!

• Lilymary
    Options

My rose garden is in the throes of a last hurrah before the autumn really takes hold. I picked a few today and brought them in, and the smell is divine. We always had roses when I was a child, I can still remember the names of the varieties we had, I knew them all by heart, and used to love picking huge bunches to put in a vase indoors. I always wanted a rose garden here, but thought my garden was too exposed, but with a LOT of love and care, I’ve managed to get enough to tough out the wild northern weather. Mind you, I’d forgotten what high maintenance they are!

• dij1966
    Options

Love all you photos. I would love a rose garden, yours looks stunning lilymary! I have a few, when is the best time to prune them? I think I missed it last time and they've gone a bit leggy!

We had a shock the other day, the £3 rhododendron which i brought from the 'pot lucky section is in flower, we didn't think it would flower for a couple of years as it was in such a sorry state.

I heard a good comment on gardeners World last night, if you buy a plant and you're not sure where to put it try it in a pot first. Although from your fabulous post frogmorton, we always find somewhere to put them!

• Lilymary
    Options

Best time to prune roses is springtime, just before they start their growth spurt. Feed them then as well. Keep deadheading through the year, and feed them again after the first flush to encourage a second bloom.

I’m amazed your Rhododendron is blooming this time of year! What confused plant! Plant it with plenty of ericaceous compost and it should sort itself out.

• Mike1
    Options

My baby girl has a cardboard "cat house" in the lounge which she loves being in when she is not lying between my legs on my recliner; when I am sat in the garden she likes to lie under the hedge so yesterday I built her a "cat kennel" the same dimensions of her cardboard house but in marine ply, painted pink and with fitted carpet. Luckily my baby sister visited so she could position it as it was too heavy for me to manage, no sooner was it positioned then Vixen went straight into it so I class that as a success. Today I will try to remember to take photos and stick them on here.

• frogmorton
    Options

Lily Mary! Wow wow wow!!!!! Phenomenal!!

Your garden is fabulous and should be on telly 😮😮🙂

Mike Vixen is a very loved and spoilt pusskin but she deserves everything you give her. She gives you so much back.

Love the sound of the house. My puss is jealous....I would love to see a photo 👍🙂

dij well done! Amazing your rhododendron flowering now!!! You have 'saved' it.

How right are you however we have to we will squeeze that plant in!!!😂

• Lilymary
    edited 27. Sep 2020, 11:19
    Options

Toni, thank you, but I’m only showing the good bits!

Well done Mike, I’d love to see pics too. Lucky Vixen. Toby has to make do with an old plastic bin which blew over in a storm and he promptly occupied it, so it’s now officially his. He likes to go out and sit in it when it’s raining, strange cat.

dij, it’s nice to revive an abandoned plant. I found a sad little rose bush on a broken pot on its side in the yard of an empty property, so I popped it in the back of my car and took it home. It’s never really flourished, but every year it gives me a few blooms and I go and give it pep talks. We’ve christened it “Refugee”.

• crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options

We are moving house during October to one nearly 200 miles away. It's exciting, in our 70s, to be going much closer to one of our sons and his family but we are leaving a beloved garden complete with Autumn crop of huge raspberries, a laden Bramley apple tree, the best crop of eating apples we've ever had plus a productive half-sized allotment.

Our new home is considerably smaller than the one we are leaving but was chosen for its sizeable garden. It has never been cultivated so consists of two large areas of grass - front and back - that we are looking forward to developing with the help of our grandson. (It's not a new-build house so the soil should be OK.)

With the buyers' consent we are taking some of our established plants and cuttings of others but will have fun choosing new fruit trees, making a pond and finding a local source of tadpoles (but maybe no hungry newts) next Spring.

This Winter will see us preparing for Spring sowing then enjoying all the pleasure of discovering what grows well in the local environment. This year's sunflowers reached marginally under 3 metres so will take some beating!

I love the descriptions and spectacular photos of Mike's, Lilymary's and others' beautifully designed and established plots so don't be too surprised if I pinch some of your great ideas!!

Will our fifth garden in 52 years be our best? Don't hold your breath but we will give it a try!

• Mike1
    Options

Well, here is Vixen's new house as promised, needless to say that when I went out to take the photo she decided to leave it and go elsewhere!

• Lilymary
    edited 28. Sep 2020, 14:44
    Options

@crinkly1 That sounds so exciting. how lovely to be able to take cuttings etc with you. I will have to leave this garden one day that I have been building up for 29 years, I know the history and quirks of every plant, and so many memories of my various cats sharing the garden with me over the years, so it will be heartbreaking to leave it. I hope your move goes smoothly and that there are no hidden horrors in your soil!

@Mike1 That looks fab! Next picture needs to be Vixen sitting in it. 😺 Toby has to make do with an old empty dustbin that blew over in a storm and he moved in, so we put it by the compost heap at the top of the garden which he uses as a look out post when its raining. Elsie is too posh, she says she "doesn't do bins"!