Ongoing Pain From Knee Replacement

Options
Hi, I am a 56 year old woman and had a total knee replacement mid February. My other one is due for replacement in due course. However, 9 weeks in and whilst I have a full range of movement and the scar is well healed, I am still in a lot of pain. I expected the unoperated knee to degrade whilst the new one recovered but I have seen no improvement over the last 4 weeks in the new one and am really quite concerned. The Physios told me to find a base line, where I am in no pain and stick to that for a while before attempting to do a bit more. But there isn't a time when I'm not in pain, so it's impossible to assess that base line. Is this usual? My instinct is telling me there's something not right but I'm trying to override it with the advice I've been given.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi Saragorton welcome to the Online Community. It's lovely to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear that the pain in your new knee doesn't seem to be subsiding. I understand knees, being more complicated, can take up to 12 weeks to recover. It is well worth following the exercise/rest advice you will have had from your health care team.

Our website has a useful guide to knee replacement surgery, including a section on recovery:

I will be interested to see replies from our members who have had this operation to see if their experiences relate to yours.

All best wishes

Brynmor