Hello

Options
bugsroberts
bugsroberts Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Just dropped in to say 'Hello'. My name is Angela and I'm 71. I've always had an active life, horse riding, fell walking and the love of outdoors. I am now waiting for a hip replacement and my mobility is very bad due to Osteoarthritis. Over the last 15 years I have tried all sorts of remedies, injections, acupuncture etc, but now I rely heavily on prescribed medication.Two years ago I was diagnosed with Waldenstrom and underwent chemotherapy, this put the hip operation on hold, and with Covid 19 it's on hold again.I now want to take hold of my life and try and get as much out of life as I can...

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi Angela, welcome to the Online Community.

Sorry to hear you have osteoarthritis and that your hip replacement has been delayed. Things will get back to normal eventually and hip operations are pretty common - my brother had both replaced some 3 years ago and he was up and active pretty shortly afterwards.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions or call in to Val's Café. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Hello, I have OA all over the shop and another arthritis too, I began when I was 37 and am now 61. I was refused new knees nine years ago due to extreme youth so as a result my ankles and hips have succumbed to OA.

I have used walking aids since 2002 because they help me go further and do more, plus daily resistance exercises to keep my leg muscles as strong and flexible as possible. Would I like life to be different? Of course I would. Is it going to be? No, but I can make it more tolerable.

I take my pain dullers on a well-spaced but regular basis to keep pain levels flattened, I regard them as essential rather than a sign of weakness or last resort. I keep my mind occupied so I am not focused on the pain and that really helps, especially at the moment as I am in my seventh week of shielding and have no idea when I will be able to leave the house for social rather than medical reasons. Arthritis has changed how I live my life but it will never change what I get from it. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben