Pain relief

Options
Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 25. Apr 2020, 17:00 in Living with arthritis
I have split this post off so that it can be answered without mixing in with new members calling in to Say Hi

Comments

• bonniedog1
    Options

Hi, I am 57 years of age. I have OA in both knees and left hip due to being a builder all my working life and playing semi pro football, I was due to have a hip replacement in May, but obviously that is now on hold, I am in absolute agony with pain in both areas have tried all sorts of pain relief, prescribed and the normal over the counter products. I have ordered on line from Boots CBD oil has anyone had any experience of using this type of pain relief and its outcomes. I have read a bit about it with mixed reviews, but i'm that desperate i would try anything .

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @bonniedog1 welcome to the Online Community.

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience with developing osteoarthritis. Given your hip-replacement has been cancelled, I would strongly recommend returning to your doctor for help in prescribing you some pain relief.

We have a page on our website that discusses complimentary treatments where you will find information on a variety of alternatives.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Sunflower05
    Options

Hi Bonniedog1.

Living and dealing with agony and pain in all areas OA is not easy, so we can all totally empathize with you.

But I would caution against taking too many over-the-counter painkillers as this can cause other problems with your other organs, and you can very easily overdose unintentionally.

Because like you I use to try all sorts of over the counter pain relief,  until I inform my doctor how many painkillers I was taken and they weren't touching me for the pain. That's when I was told I could cause more damage to my other organs etc.

I take Zapain during the day and will occasionally top it up with paracetamol...I only take Oramorph when I'm in extreme pain I cannot leave the house or move, as well as sleeping tablets to help me relax more through the night. Because constant disruption in sleep can leave it harder for you to cope with pain during the day.

I am not sure what medication the doctor has put you on to control pain, but you need to speak to your Dr again... i find Oramorph can leave me feeling sick so I have to take anti-sickness tablets with it, but it does help me to sleep, once I get past the sickness feeling as it makes you sleepy.

But what I did buy was a MedFit wireless TENS machine, I found this can give me me a little relief from muscle cramping pain, because when I am not able to move around very much. You can control the intensity of treatment.

I can use this also while I'm slowly getting around, as it has no wire, because as you know the more we sit and not move the more your muscles will cramp up. I find this a big benefit when I'm working in the office and I cannot move around much because I'm at my desk.

I also joined the local hotel because it has a small heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi steam room etc.

I appreciate we cannot use this at this present time because of covid-19 but before this, I found this beneficial after work everyday, as I was able to relax my muscles in a nice hot jacuzzi etc, as I have not been able to have a bath at home for the last couple of years as I've had too many Falls trying to get out of it, and living alone this became high risk to me.

But with the jacuzzi I can walk into it as it has small steps with hand rail and seating along the sides.

Well this is how I cope, I hope it helps you.? I wish you all the best and hope you get some more help.

Linda

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Pain is a fact of arthritic life and it is extremely challenging. After 24 years of constant pain I am so used to it I barely register the fact it's there. I stick to cocodamol, prescribed by my GP, and take between four and six tablets per day, this dulls enough to allow me to get on with life. I have used walking aids since 2002 when I was 43 and am now 61. They enable me to go further and do more, well they did, due to shielding I ain't going nowhere or doing much for the forseaable future. 😂 I have psoriatic plus osteo arthritis and it is the drugs for the psoriatic that mean I am shielding.

Males have more pain receptors than females and no-one has a high pain threshold, their pain receptors are more inefficient is all. My main strategy for dealing with pain is to distract my attention away from it which I do with chores and hobbies. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben