Doxens1
Doxens1 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I am Katherine. I have had arthritis since I was 19. I will be 69 in July. I injured my left knee when I was 13 and had 3 surgeries before I was 19. When I was 19 and having my 3rd knee surgery they removed my kneecap and cleaned out the arthritis. My knee was replaced when I was 43. Since then I have had my right hip replaced twice. The arthritis has spread to my feet, back, neck, shoulders and hands. I have monthly infusion treatments that have helped. Although with this pandemic I am not having them. I have had 25 surgeries on my feet, shoulder and various other surgeries. I am in constant pain and have trouble walking and climbing stairs. Thankfully we were able to install an elevator. I look forward to hearing about what has helped others.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Doxens1 welcome to the online Community, its lovely to have you here.

I'm so sorry you have experience of arthritis for 50 years - that's quite an extraordinary tale of operations you have had. With all that I'm sure you have a lot to contribute for those coming here asking for help.

Do join in across the Community. Ask questions, give support or call in for a chat to let us know how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Doxens1
    Doxens1 Member Posts: 3

Thank you. Life with arthritis is not for the faint of heart. While I have a pretty high threshold for pain but when I have a flair it is crippled. Thankfully since I started infusions they are pretty rare.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis, for which I inject meth and humira, osteoarthritis, which I manage by exercise, rest and pain dullers and fibromyalgia (when that strikes, I just have to wait for it to go). I have not had any joint replacements and won't be bothering either. I needed knees when I was 52, was refused due to youth (!) and now my ankles and hips have succumbed to OA and all my toes have PsA I don't see the point.

My parents passed to me the dross they missed, Ma supplied the asthma and eczema, Pa the psoriasis so I didn't stand a chance. 😁 Meds have played a vital role in helping me to live my life to its best and so it continues. I have no qualms about taking them, no fears, no worries: to me it's about making the best of what I have now even though that continues to steadily dwindle thanks to the depredations of the disease.

Life itself is not for the faint-hearted and being challlenged with poor health adds to its complexities. Arthritis has changed how I physically live my life but it has not changed what I get from it. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben