Medicating Rheumatoid Arthritis

kinnear
kinnear Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

I am newly diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and am on Methotrexate tablets weekly.I just wondered if it can be medically controlled to having no pain or is there always a degree of pain.I just wondered if anyone was living on medication and pain free. I am still having to take ibuprofen along with paracetamol.I am only taking it for coming up to 7 weeks and wondered if it took longer.Any experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @kinnear

welcome to the online community. Being newly diagnosed is a difficult time with so many new things to discover. Methotrexate can take up to 3 months to be really effective so you still have a few weeks to see how effective the treatment will be for you.

It sounds as though you are still experiencing pain as you are taking ibuprofen along with paracetamol. Until your disease is under control it is likely that you will need to continue to take these painkillers. Unfortunately for lots of people the pain never completly disappear but it certainly can become more manageable. Some people do experience remissions and provided there is no joint damage they have little pain.

This is why it is good that you have been diagnosed and have started a treatment plan. Pain can be managed in other ways as well as with medication. You might like to look at our website here

I am sure our members will share their experience of managing pain and living well. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on

Best Wishes

Sharon