Living with constant pain

Options
hi all just been told I have degenerative disk disease and narrowing of the spinal canal with two discs fused together and arthritis spors growing over them and two lumber disks fused together and arthritis in my shoulder been told nothing they can do as where the narrowing of the spinal canal is to narrow and dangerous to operate on i have never felt pain like it and some days can't move out of bed consultant said the degenerative disck is from my neck to my lumber back been referred to pain management clinic as I have trouble sleeping apart from sitting up in bed with big pillows against the wall i manage to get 2 to 3 hrs a night cant lift anything heavy as been told it aggravates and my arms hurt and shake after been take morphine to try help me sleep at night helps a bit but some days I can't do anything and then a few days I feel OK but if I over do things I am wiped out for a day or so again had pains in my arm for a year and got worse so went to the doctors telling them that I feel I have no energy and get shooting pains down my arm and shakes when I lift anything.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @ozzy19721968 and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I’m sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and its implications including the associated pain and sleeping issues.

This link to our main website may have some useful information for you https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-spine/

If you feel the need to speak with someone then you can call our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520, or email helpline@versusarthritis.org (Mon - Fri 9:00am – 8:00pm).

I hope that joining the forum provides some useful input from other members who share similar symptoms.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options

Sounds like a candidate for the Pain Clinic? Ask your GP for a referral and use this website to gain information, why not ring the helpline, that’s what it’s for.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Hi Ozzy. I have Degenerative Facet Joint Disease as well as OA which affects my whole spine. I have been through the Pain Clinic having a couple of denervations in the process and having tried all meds I am on Morphine all the time. A Neurosurgeon also advised me that he would not operate as the risk of paralysis was too great. I also have sciatica which is caused by the spinal problems and brachialgia which is the technical term for the arm problems we both suffer with. 3 hours kip a night maximum, depression, fatigue etc etc. Deep joy eh? Hang in there mate.