Fused wrist

Options
I have arthritis in most joints, I'm 67 and my consultant as said my next treatment should be to fuse my wrist to ease my pain.as anyone here had this treatment and how as it affected your life, I need crutches to walk anywhere will this still be possible.

Comments

• Nannysnoop
    Nannysnoop Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi terry.

Having wrist fused will most certainly reduce your pain and possibly remove it all together but may I say at a cost. That cost will be you will never be able to move your wrist again. I suggest maybe that you tightly strap your wrist so unable to move it and live like that for a few days to find out how difficult you may find in doing everyday tasks. Yes you will eventually learn to adapt but it sure takes time. Even using a knife and fork will feel very strange. I never had my wrist done but did have my left thumb. I am left handed and boy did it come as a shock at to how little I could use my thumb. Yes the pain has gone in that joint but it still everywhere else in body. I have had to adapt in using the Base of my thumb and lots of things I unable to do nowadays. Ie fasten buttons. Do I regret getting it done.....at times yes but I have learned to adapt which takes time believe me.

Good luck in your decision

• Nannysnoop
    Nannysnoop Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, I am 63 years of age and have been lucky I suppose that arthritis has has effected me only in the last 6 years but boy has it come with a vengeance. I have most joints including my right jaw with osteoarthritis and also have fybromyalgia. Being checked for osteoporosis and was due a bone dexa scan but on hold now due to covid 19. Have been checked via blood testing 3 times for rheumatoid arthritis but each time negative result although orthopedic surgeon thinks I have it. Have had a trapiezectomy and thumb fused. Shoulder debridement and another shoulder operation but for the love of me cannot remember what it's called now. Need other shoulder doing but have declined it due to not much success in first shoulder. Have been getting steroid injections in both knees past few years which I do find helps but unfortunately can be short lived. Docs reckon I was born with bilateral hip dysplasia which has now in past 6 years come to effect me with pain and also walking. Which doesn't help having both knees,ankles,and feet effected with arthritis. Have fingers that have become deformed and swollen at times which makes using my hands at times somewhat annoying as often drop things and difficulties with picking up items. Pain is something I have learnt to live with but at times it can become a battle especially when having a flare. Have been medically retired from work 18months ago. Have recently lost my soul mate my wonderful husband who I was married to for 42 years which has been the most difficult time in my life and still is.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Oh Nannysoop

I am so very very sorry to hear of the loss of your husband and soulmate of 42 years. My own parents were married for the same length of time when we lost our Dad. I do hope you have family to support you at this really tough time.

Please accept my most sincere condolences and am very glad you have found this community.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• mcmitty71
    mcmitty71 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I had a partial wrist replacement and bone fusion surgery nearly 5 years on left wrist. What a difference it has made. Cant turn hand right over now, but it is a small price to pay. Was a great success. Was only thing that could help me ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹