Shielding

Hi I am Colleen new on here. I am 61yrs with RA underactive thyroid COPD and a couple of others health problems. I have not up to today receive any advice on living with my illness a shielding letter despite asking for help on understanding what I should do. I presently take methotrexate injections thyroxine inhalers 1 being steroid and nifedipress.
I am truly scared about going out especially when the lockdown is eased but unless I receive some kind of official understanding I don’t know what I should do.
Can anyone help me thank you.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,579
    edited 5. May 2020, 07:08

Hi @Colleen14 I am very pleased to meet you and welcome you to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

You very much sound to have more than your share of health problems. You are absolutely not alone in not knowing whether to shield or not. In the absence of a 'letter' from the Government many are understandably confused.

I have added this link where you can assess your own risk while you are waiting for some experience from our members.

Best wishes

Ellen

• Colleen14
    Colleen14 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    Thank you for your advice and link. Also thank you for letting me be a part of this helpful website so glad I found you after seeing the advert.
    Stay safe and take care
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I inject methotrexate and humira, both immuno-suppressants, and also have asthma controlled by reliever / preventer inhalers. I began shielding at the beginning of March and will continue until at least the end of June. I received my first letter around the 9th of April and have received three more since. I have not done my points tally thing which others have, as far as I am concerned shielding is common sense for the sake of those around me and I suppose myself too; I am fortunate though in that I am retired and have a healthy spouse who is food shopping fortnighly, it must be harder for those without home support. Take care, stay safe. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben