Hello all!

Options
historynut
historynut Member Posts: 28
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Good afternoon,
I've been using this websites and looked at the forums for a while.
I got diagnosed last year with OA, I have it in my left knee and both hips. I also have spondylosis and some narrowing in neck. I'm on the usual drugs and have finally gotten my blue badge and bus pass. Attempting to get PIP, and support for me getting to work.
Sadly, I'm only 30, I'm having to change so much in my life, especially when it comes to looking after my little girl. I have great support from my friends, family and workplace so I'm lucky. Best I can do is take a day at a time.

Comments

• AlanM
    AlanM Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi @Petemc0905

good to have you with us on the forum and thanks for letting us know how you are.

I can see that you have osteoarthritis, spondylosis and issues with your neck and that you have a blue badge and bus pass but are looking to get on to Personal Independence Payments to support you in getting to work.

It would be worth having a look on our website and, in particular, the link here on physiotherapy in order to maintain good self-management.

On support for getting on to PIP, you may want to talk to someone on our Helpline if there are particular issues - Helpline 0800 5200 520. And, of course, please post on the forum to see what others have done that might help in your application.

You are clearly doing exactly the right things in managing your arthritis and seeking out the right support and information. The forum will be a great source of both of these and I am sure you will be a valued member.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Best wishes

Alan

• historynut
    Options

Thank you

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hello Pete

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Sounds like you are having a tough time, but you have definitely come to the right place coming here. Everyone is really helpful and supportive.

Sadly getting OA at a young age isn't unheard of in spite of what the average person on the street thinks. My own daughter had hip surgery at 18 and a new shoulder at 19.

I hope you get your PIP - I heard that at the moment the interviews are being done over the phone which is a lot easier than travelling to one of their buildings!

If there's anything we can do to help please do ask away 🙂 As for your daughter you know what? All kids really need from their parents is time and love and i am sure you've got both of those.

Take care

• historynut
    edited 7. May 2020, 17:32
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank you for the kind words, it's nice to find a community of like minded people. The worst part of it I've found is it's so hard to explain to people.

I hope your daughter is doing OK, and it sound like she's got a lot of the right kind of support from yourself.

That old thing of arthritus is for old people, can get super frustrating. They have meetings near where I live but the are in a old church in the middle of a Tuesday, so you kind of know that it's not going to be rammed with younger people.

Take care yourself.