Knee Osteoarthrits and Physiotherapy

In last 3 years pain killers and physiotherapy are the only treatments offered to me for knee osteoarthritis. Also waiting >12 month for hip replacement - diagnosed after knees. The physiotherapy exercises are supposed to develop leg muscles but, by my reasoning, whatever the strength of the muscles the weight of the body is still a force on the knee joints. In my own case, the longer that I stand or walk the more painful my joints become. I understand the reasons for exercising muscles but confused by the thinking that physio can help joint function and actually some of the recommended exercises just exacerbate pain. Pain is a symptom of inflammation and according to research the inflammatory products perpetuates further cartilage degradation. "Wear and Tear" might be the initial cause but what are the degenerative causes for worsening of the condition?

The benefits of exercises on osteoarthritic joints from metastudies are not conclusive. So I am wondering whether anyone on forum who has knee osteoarthritis benefits from leg exercises?

Comments

• DLM2102
    DLM2102 Member Posts: 6
    I have RA in most joints now and had osteoarthritis in my knee, diagnosed at 15. I did all the knee exercises and kept the muscle above my knees as strong as possible and ironically my glutes help as well as I didn't curve my spine as much as expected through favouring my bad leg. I'm 48 now and 6 months ago had a total knee replacement. If I hadn't done the knee exercises for those 32 years I'd of had a replacement a lot earlier and I honestly believe I wouldnt have recovered as well as I have, I'm now walking 5km a day and have almost reduced all pain killers. Bear with the exercises and if you can afford it get a cyro cuff as it helps loads
    Good luck
  • jooms
    jooms Member Posts: 39

Thanks DLM2012

Typo error. Could you explain please?

"If I hadn't done the knee exercises for those 32 years I'd of had a replacement a lot earlier......"

In general you found exercising beneficial.

The fact that you had osteoarthritis at such a young age suggests that this illness is not "Wear and Tear" so the sooner the medical profession stop using this dismissive explanation the sooner they can start looking at remedies.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 12. May 2020, 17:12

I exercise my leg muscles daily to no discernible arthritis benefit to my toes and knees (psoriatic arthritis) and ankles, knees and hips (OA) but I know from experience that when my leg muscles are stronger and more flexible they better support the joints and my overall physical stamina is improved. Yes, they hurt but pain is constant, I fully understand that because arthritis is both progressive and degenerative, there is no possibility of a return to how things were, even with joint replacements, because mine is so widespread now it's not worth it. I will keep exercising, doing my un-aid-ed walks (i.e. no sticks or rollator) and maintain my physical stamina as best I can. It's not a cure, it's not a proper solution, it won't stop things deteriorating but there is more to me and my body than this arthritic dross. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

The exercise is for the parts of the knee, the muscles, tendons and ligaments all of which stabilise the joint and slow down the wear and tear, it will also stabilise other joints in the body and keep you in a better stance with less problems caused by poor body function. I.e. if you walk around with hunched shoulders you will cause other issues over time.

• jooms
    jooms Member Posts: 39

My arthritis in left knee presented for first time while walking (exercising) and I have not been able to walk properly since then. If exercise caused the inflammation of left knee it is difficult to understand how exercise is going to help that particular joint.

• DLM2102
    DLM2102 Member Posts: 6
    It has to repair but once better do gentle strengthening no weight bearing exercise. Eat a high protein diet to help the muscles repair after exercise. It sounds backwards but it works. In answer to your earlier question my right leg osteoarthritis was definitely wear and tear. I did a lot of gymnastics as a young child and grew to 5 ft 6 by the time I was 12 so put pressure and damage that way
    Good luck