R/A is predominantly a female condition

Options

I note that there appears to be more female forum members than men, my grandmother and great grandmother were both sufferers, I can’t bring to mind any male family members who are/were sufferers, other than yours truly. A little research tells me that a probable reason for this is that Estrogen plays a roll in effecting the B and T cells which are involved in the immune response to R/A, thus making women three times more likely to develop R/A than men. My mother was not a sufferer, but I just wonder if the prevalence of R/A in two generations of my female family members has made it easier for it to single me out.

Comments

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options

Hi Crookesey, My Grand mother had Arthritis and my Father had Rheumatoid, as far as I'm aware they were the only ones to suffer with it until me. My Mum had what she called the 'screws' but I don't believe it was 'Arther'

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I think it comes down to basic biology. In a fairly sweeping generalisation females are programmed to chat, natter, share, empathise, sympathise, organise. Males can do this too but not as easily or readily as women. A male friend of mine has the same arthritis as me and is not the slightest bit interested in talking about it with anyone. During this period of shielding I am keeping in touch with our friends with phone calls and messages, 'im indoors isn't (and never does), not even with his only living relative (big brother). DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119
    Options

dreamdaisy

Do you also consider the official medical statement of women being three times more likely to develop R/A than men, to be a ‘fairly sweeping generalisation”? If so I am happy to be proven wrong, if of course you have conflicting evidence to hand.