Can you take omeprazole while on Methotrexate

Izabela31new
Izabela31new Member Posts: 4
edited 15. May 2020, 23:23 in Living with arthritis
Hi there I’ve started Methotrexate just recently
I also take omeprazole but I recently read online that those two shouldn’t be taken together .
Does anyone know if it can be taken or not ?
Thank you ;)

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

You need to ask a Pharmacist as they have a big book which lists what can and cannot be taken together, however I would have thought that if your GP prescribed them both at the same time then it should be OK.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I took both for a while, I needed the omeprazole because I was regularly taking naproxen to help control inflammation: both were prescribed by my rheumatologist who probably knew more about what I needed than the internet did . Why are you taking omeprazole? DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hi .
    I take it for gastritis and esphoagitis ( not sure how to spell it ) .
    Yeah that’s what I’m thinking but just wanted to double check .
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I have lost count of the number of contra-indicated meds I have taken over the years; so far so good though, nothing has happened to interrupt the stately progress of the arthritis. I am a shocker though because I never research the meds on the web, mostly because I am not a doc. I am sure that any rheumatologist worth their salt knows exactly what can go with what for each patient. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pisica
    pisica Member Posts: 19

I checked with my GP about this, because I'm also taking both. If you're getting regular blood tests you should be fine, but if you have any concerns and/or feel grottier than usual you definitely need to contact you GP or Rheumatologist.

The problem is that it omeprazole (and other PPIs, like lansoprazole) affects how quickly you body processes the methotrexate, so it can potentially increase the toxicity.

• Maybe they mean not at the same time?

• AlanM
    AlanM Member Posts: 46

Hi @fannyadams

forgive me if I've missed an introductory post from you but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

If you have specific queries and would think you would benefit from professional advice, our Helpline is available at 0800 5200 520. And, of course, there's a lot of information on our website for you to search through https://www.versusarthritis.org/.

And, of course, talking to others on the forum will give you not only information but support and a chance to share your own thoughts and concerns.

I look forward to seeing you here.

best wishes

Alan