Living with sore hands

Val6arras
Val6arras Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I’m Val and I’ve got osteo arthritis in my hands , I’m looking for someone with the same problem to chat to, or if anyone has advice to give. I’m lucky that other joints are not affected ( yet) , but sore hands are quite debilitating!

Comments

• Vikki_W
    Vikki_W Member Posts: 15

Hi Val!

Welcome to our online community!

Our forums are very chatty and I’m sure many of our members will be able to provide you with advice on Osteoarthritis.

In the meantime, you may want to have a look around the Versus Arthritis website. Below is a link to the living with arthritis page which has lots of useful information.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/

You may also find the information page specifically about Osteoarthritis useful as there is a section on managing symptoms.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

I hope the pain in your hands improves and I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Best wishes,

Vikki

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis in all my fingers and both elbows plus OA in my wrists. It is difficult to avoid using one's hands 😉 but I do my best to rest them whenever I can. I soak them in warm water, sometimes laced with Epsom salts, I exercise them daily by pretend piano playing, stretching exercises and I take a small but regular amount of my prescribed pain relief: after twenty three years my arthritis is widespread and pain is a way of life: not sad, just true. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 17. May 2020, 07:23

I have OA in most joints and my spine including both hands and wrists. I cannot hold a telephone to my ear so either rest it on my chest or shoulder when talking; I cannot hold a book properly when reading; I cannot take the tops of milk bottles so use a knife; I cannot hold heavy objects like 4 pint milk bottles or large Fairy liquid bottles so always buy things like that in small sizes; I have problems putting socks on so have a gadget for that; have grabbers in every room; gadgets to help me shower etc. I like working on my model railway but can only do it if my hands are reasonable and then for only 10 minutes or so at a time. I like woodwork so have set my workbenches up with as many power tools as possible, again I can't spend much time doing it before pain levels increase and have had to adapt how I do things like holding chisels and so forth. I have braces for both thumbs which help support them. In summary it is a case of trying to find ways round things that I can no longer do the way I used to, living alone I have no choice.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402

Hi Val yes sore hands is indeed very debilitating 🙄

Have you thought about little things you can get to make life easier?

Larger handles on knives/pens etc can help and kettles you don't have to lift? It might be if you use some of this stuff you can save your hands for the things you want to do 🙂

Some people do soak their hands which can help and some on here have mentioned wax baths...I think parafin (sp)

Take care