Newbie needs help

Witchywoman
Witchywoman Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi Everyone,
My name is Kat, I’m 50 and I’ve been suffering with right hip pain for a couple of years. I finally had enough and went to the dr’s and was diagnosed with OA. We were just about to start on a pain management plan when covid 19 happened so I’m currently taking Naproxen, co-codamol and paracetamol. The physio suggests steroid injection in my hip but I’ve heard about shock wave therapy? Has anyone got experience of either treatment and how well they work ?
I’m manage a gym and yoga studio but I’m struggling to find exercise that isn’t painful, cycling is ok but walking isn’t. Any help or advice would be very welcome 🙏 as on painful days like today I’m really down.
Thank You in advance 🙏

Comments

• Hello Witchywoman I've OA in both hips the right 1 being the worst I've had my operation for a full hip cancelled twice ive found the only exercise i can do now is a short walk and its a struggle then a few hours later I'm wrecked with pains, I'm on morphine patches 30/500 co codamol and brufphon 400 i also have found that cbd oil helps it dulls my pain down and especially at night it allows me to relax my legs in bed which has helped big time in getting a better sleep. I used to do a lot of running which helped me with my depression but when i got diagnosed with OA that put the brakes on my running made me hit rock bottom I've found not getting to run even after near 7yrs a struggle but just getting out for the short walk with my dogs helps to keep me going try the cbd oil
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Please Note

If you are considering using CBD to manage the pain of your arthritis, it’s important to remember it cannot replace your current medicines, and it may interact with them, so please do not stop/start taking anything without speaking to a healthcare professional.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Kat, I'm 60 with hip OA, I'm on pretty much the same drugs with pretty much the same diagnosis. Awaiting steroid injection and then replacement, but struggling to find any exercise that isn't so painful I can't bear it. I don't cycle (maybe I should try again, last tried years ago, awful failure), and am waiting for the swimming pools to reopen. I don't think I can manage pilates and yoga any more, and most of them work the hip joints too much. I wish I had answers for you - I'm waiting for the same answer as you. 😕

• Sydney
    Sydney Member Posts: 1

Good morning all, I am new to the forums. I am 63 and I have OA, osteoporosis and psoriatic arthritis. I also have disc degeneration of the lumber spine, I had a fusion in 2007. As I am sure you can imagine my days are very painful. I make myself go for a walk everyday as I am frightened of the consequences If I do not. Also walking with my dog helps to stay off depression for a while. I am on biologic therapy for PA and Co-codamol 30/500. I also have 40mg of morphine for when I can not stand the pain or need a good nights sleep.

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi Sydney

Welcome to the forum

You are going through a lot at the moment but you have come to the right place.Everyone here understands how you feel as we all suffer from degrees of pain and we all have Arthritis of some kind.If you wish to talk to someone we have a help line who are more than willing to talk to you and give you advice the number is 08005200520.the forums are great to chat as well just go to one or all and you will soon be answered

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm