Life long

Options
Baz
Baz Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi my name is Baz, I'm 75 years old I was only 17 when I was diagnosed with prolapsed lumber disc's (3of)I was an apprentice at the loco works in Derby.
When I first collapsed at 17 I spent 4 months off work my consultant at the time told me that I would probably end up in wheelchair by my 40th.
I kept going to work, I used to have a a month or so when I got bad, to cut a very long story short I just carried on the best I could.
The last job I had at an engineering works as a mechanical /electrical maintenance engineer. I was also the key holder, I unlock the works at 0700 to let everyone in.
I would then hoist myself up with a sling under my arms on one of the overhead crane's for a few minutes putting my spine in traction, I'd do this quite a few times a day.
I managed to stay working like this until I 56,then it too bad to carry on, so I took early retirement. I still have bad days but keep going, to top it off I've been fighting cancer for the last 7 years, having check up every 2 months. Baz

Comments

• MarzMac
    MarzMac Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi @Baz

Welcome to the online community where you can meet new people and share your experiences with us all.

You were diagnosed with your condition a long time ago now and as such you will have developed different ways of managing your pain and mobility over the years. I think you will be able to help some of our more recently diagnosed members with your experience of living with this since the age of seventeen.

Perhaps you have already discovered our information booklets online? https://www.versusarthritis.org/order-our-information/

Please take a look and see if there is anything here that could be helpful. If not, please don't hesitate to call the helpline on 0800 5200 520 and ask if they have anything specific relating to your condition.

I do hope you will join in with the chat on various topics, which you can find listed on the right. And please let us know how you get on with the above resources.

Best wishes

MarzMac

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Well done Baz 🏆️

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119
    Options

No offence baz, but you remind me of my late grandfather who did many heavy and dangerous jobs. Several doctors told him that he wouldn’t see age 60, he outlived them all and died aged 93.

He was a top man, similar to you I guess, keep smiling flower.