Hello, im new to the group

Options
Nickyc
Nickyc Member Posts: 20
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
My name is Nicky and I have osteoarthritis in my neck. It is now affecting every area of my life and causing lots of sleepless nights. I also have it in my hips and pseudo gout in my knees. Just looking for a chance to talk when it gets hard and learn more about dealing with it.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Greetings, I have wide=spread OA which also affects every aspect of my life. Like you my neck wakes me up screaming after only a couple of hours kip if I am lucky. There are plenty of us on here who are happy to natter and share experiences so come on in.

• Nickyc
    Options
    Hi Mike1, sleep is a major struggle, I've tried so many different types of pillows which have had no effect. I can't lie on my right side for longer than 10 minutes without pain, or an instant banging headache. My arms frequently become completely numb. If I lie on my back I get dizzy. Have you got any recommendations for pillows? I average about 3 hours uninterrupted sleep, I normally give up and get up by 5.30 am.
  • Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hi @Nickyc and welcome to our online community,

Osteoarthritis in the neck can be so painful and if it prevents you from sleeping it must make life very difficult. Rest assured many of our members understand what you're going through and will I'm sure give you support and advice.

Versus Arthritis also have a helpline if you would like to talk to an Advisor. The number is 0800 5200 520

The line is open Monday-Friday, 9am-8pm. They're not medically trained but they can give you support and up to date information.

There are also some suggestions in the Versus Arthritis section on managing pain that you might find helpful:

Do let us know how you're getting on.

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nickyc
    Options
    Thank you Anna
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I have spent hundreds on pillows over the years without much success. The latest pillow I am using is made of chopped up memory foam in a double zipped case, this means that you can take some of the stuffing out or even add more to make it exactly right for you. It is the best that I have come across so far but having said that I still only get 2 or 3 hours kip but my neck pain is reduced on waking MOST of the time - not this morning though! There are numerous examples of this type of pillow available on the old inter-netty thing.

• Nickyc
    Options
    Thank you for your help 😊