Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Can I get benefits if I find working too painful?

I have severe osteoarthritis in my neck, I am in daily pain, I get lots of headaches, numb arms, and have recently started to stumble as I seem to lose balance somehow. I spoke to a Dr today who prescribed some new medication for pain that will help me sleep. I asked about what jobs I could do that wouldn't make things worse as I've just been laid off due to covoid 19. She just said don't do any lifting. I am not an office worker or trained in any way for a job which means sitting at a desk looking at computers. All my jobs since leaving school have included lifting whether cleaning, working in restaurants or shops. I don't know what I could do that doesn't include lifting. I'm 52 I've worked since I was 16. Would I be able to get some sort of benefits if I can't find suitable work?

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.