I've just been prescribed amitriptyline

Options
I have been given amitriptyline, I was wondering how you find it as a pain killer, I'm also concerned about the side effects. Would you recommend it?

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

It is an antidepressant which can give some pain relief as it affects the nerves, I was on it years ago for a while but it used to make me feel odd so I was switched to something else. If you Google it you can find out more on the NHS website but everyone is different and has different reactions to it, some it undoubtedly helps and others not so much.

• Gingerarthur
    Options

I have been using Amitryptyline for the best part of the year taking one tablet usually within an hour of going to bed. Initially, the main side effect was the number of vivid dreams I was having but this has now stopped and I sleep well. I was prescribed the drug as I was waking up 5 or 6 times a night and having to stretch etc. to try and relieve pain and stiffness. It is not a pain killer but acts as a relaxant to enable to help you sleep better.

• crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options

I have OA and Amitriptyline was first prescribed for me more than 25 years ago. Taking it during the day proved a no-no as it turned me into a caricature of Dopey! It was, though, brilliant at night and I still use it, taking between 10mg and 30mg according to need - at least an hour before going to bed. It markedly reduces the muscle tightness/spasm and accompanying pain that occurs when muscles react to joint damage. As a former athlete, I have never lost the muscle mass built up over years of training and this is the only drug prescribed when I was initially diagnosed that I continue to use. (I use a pain reliever in addition and when needed during the day.)

Like most drugs it may not 'work' for you but be aware of possible side effects and give it a go.

• Nickyc
    Nickyc Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you, I took it last night and had a good night sleep, however I felt like I was coming round after anaesthetic this morning. Will persevere as I feel ok now. Thanks again for your advice xx
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I'm on amitryp for depression, and it works for me, keeps me as normal as anyone else. Hard to know which of my drugs is making me a bit drowsy at the moment, as they all have that effect, as does pain itself, but before my OA kicked off a few months ago and I was only on Amitryp, I was fine with no side effects and pretty good energy levels. It's hard to know how much it might contribute to pain relief though, as that's now why it was prescribed to me.

• Nickyc
    Nickyc Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks Lilymary
  • Twirl58
    Twirl58 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    I have only taken 2 tablets so far and really don't know if I should take any more. I have had no sleep at all for the last 2 nights. My mind was racing everywhere and my legs were constantly jerking. To top it all I have had terrible diarrhoea all day. The only plus is that I have no pain. But I am just so tired 😴 Any advice would be very welcome thank you
  • Twirl58
    Twirl58 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you, don't think I can face another sleepless night but might have to if this diarrhoea doesn't stop.
  • Barefootgardener
    Options
    Hi, I was prescribed amitriptyline at least ten years ago, whilst I was still in full time employment. A higher dose of 3 or 4 tablets to start with and I found that 4 is my cut offfor vivid dreams and nightmares. I did struggle with feeling like a zombie in the morning and having to drive to work was quite difficult and a bit worrying. I since read somewhere (sorry cant be accurate where I read it because I cant remember) that ideally it shouldnt be taken after 7:30 pm , so the morning fog is better manageable. I still take 1 or 2 tablets before I go to bed and they do certainly help me get to sleep. I've tried to stop them, but I always struggle more, so I see no reason to stop them now. They are the least of my problems now!! My only real problem is that over the increasing years is that they do dry out my mouth causing me to snore quite badly. Unfortunately I've tried an alternative but that caused me terrible insommnia. I will try for another alternative once face to face appointments are back on again. I'd say stick with it.There is a great booklet on the NRAS website that explains lots about medication, painkillers, how they work and how to take them. It's interesting and worth a read in my opinion. It might help. Goodluck.
  • CJE1972
    CJE1972 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I use them when my pain levels are high (on them now) and find that they work well. The first couple of weeks I was a bit of a zombie in the morning after them and went out like a light. That has worn off now but I do find I am more sleepy in the first couple of mornings after starting back on them. They help massively with my neck and shoulder (and my wife’s snoring which has been a major source of sleep loss for me for a while).