Hello

stoopslane
stoopslane Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

why it took so long for me to be diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of my right hip I don't know, but after 3 long years I found the answer to my gait, and now I am awaiting an artificial hip operation. I find walking with underarm crutches a help but my strenuous walking exploits are a thing of the past, but I walk locally and try top keep active.😀

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206

Hi Stoopslane

Welcome to the Online Community Forum.

For many of us it takes a while to be diagnosed but I'm pleased you are finally awaiting for your artificial hip operation.

Have a look around at the other forums as there are more than likely other people that are going through the same thing and can offer you some support, or just a general chat.

We also have the Versus Arthritis website and the link is attached https://www.versusarthritis.org/

If you feel you need to speak to someone we also have the

Versus Arthritis Helpline 0800 5200 520.

Stay safe

AJ_x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Hello, I hope that once you get your new hip things will radically improve for you. I have OA in both hips and other leg joints too, I was refused new knees nine years ago due to my youth (I was 52) but that came as no surprise! Good luck, I guess the waiting time now is extremely hard to assess but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later, a friend's husband had his done in January and now he's running about like a spring lamb. Age was not an issue as he was 75. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gosh dreamdaisy I have just opened your post after 7 months. I am still feeling my way around this site, but have undertook some of the exercises advised, My hobbling about is getting worse and my 'walks' are becoming shorter. but I still go out for short walks. Im looking forward to running about like a spring lamb. after the operation but the meantime I have my memories of walking in Swaledale (Yorkshire Dales) and Derwent Edge(Derbyshire) but nothing is as good as a walk in the countryside especially if there is a stream or lake to add further intertest. I am approacing my 73rd birthday.