TENS machines

Has anyone tried one of these? my physio has just given me one to try for my hip, which is just getting worse every day. Did they work for you? How long was it before you started to notice a difference (or gave up)?

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

Yes, they work really well, for me it was in the earlier stages of OA. The machines that are in use in hospitals are much higher power output than the home or domestic market ones that can be purchased from high street stores or their on line equivelant and of course a great deal more expensive.

I used one from Superdrug that was reasonably priced and worked, up to a point. You will get a similar amount of relief from a hot wheat bag as from the type I described above, however each to their own.

its a grin, honest!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I have tried them for OA in the past and did not find any benefit and I recently bought one specifically for my neck which I found was a waste of money. As with any other form of treatment different people get different results so anything is worth a try.

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

I bought one when I was injured about 20 years ago to help with the pain I had in my neck( damaged discs) It was good for a long time but as with a great many things it's effect wore off the longer I used it. My daughter tried it for the pain she had but could not tolerate it.

It is a case of try it and see at least you have the chance to try before you buy! I hope it works for you and you get some relief.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I used one when attending regular hospital physio sessions after a major synovectomy on my left knee. It did not relieve anything and as soon as I walked out of the unit the pain intensified and the swellng began again. This was back when I had only an undiagnosed auto-immune arthritis, I now have OA too, it might help with that but I can't be bothered. I know that some find it useful and there is only one way to find out if you are in that number. Good luck! DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I have been giving it a go for a few days, and used it after far more gardening than was sensible yesterday. I have to say I was in less pain than I expected to be. So I think it does bring some marginal relief, and as part of a pain management package, it helps a bit (?), but I don't think it will be my "go-to" pain management tool. But every little helps, so I'll stick with it a while longer before making my mind up.