Changing medication due to covid

Hi everyone.
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with changing medication due to being at increased risk?
I’m on a low dose of methotrexate and I am not shielding but do fall in the moderately increased risk category.
I just can’t see that this is going to end anytime soon. I have been advised not to return to work as I can not socially distance in my job and now I’m reading that my medication will prevent me from having the vaccine if one becomes available.
But my real concern is the impact on my children.
One of them is due a minor op which was put on hold in March. Yesterday they called to say it could now go ahead but as soon as they found out about me being on immunosuppressants they advised me to postpone it - for my sake not my daughters.
My son is due to go back to school next week. I’ve just had a phone call from his teacher to say they advise any parents with risk factors to keep their children off school.
I’m just struggling with the fact that my health is impacting on their lives so much. My oldest daughter is at college and can potentially go back in 2 weeks. She’s old enough to make her own decisions but I’m worried they will advise her to stay off as well.
I’m seriously considering asking to trial a less risky medication. I know this is against the general rheumatology guidance but I don’t really know what else I can do?


  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504

    hi Grace ,

    I have not been out our house since early feb , but still had the virus anyway ,I took my immune suppressants during the virus , we are advised to take sulpha & Hydro but stop the rest , but I took Xeljanx because they are doing trials with it on Covid

    I am not sure there is a better drug & everything has risk , as for the vaccine , it looks like a live vaccine & maybe we can stop our drugs so to get the vaccine but wait until you get the advice from the doctors

    as for your children , cant advise you , the virus even mild is very nasty & will attack the lungs & if you have weakness like asthma etc you are at greater risk , maybe get some professional advice as you dont want this virus

  • MoWW
    MoWW Member Posts: 74

    Hi Grace,

    your Rheumatology team may be able to help you with your concerns.

    Our website is regularly updated on Co-vid19, I have added the link for you.

    take care