New rules and sheilding

Amy79
Amy79 Member Posts: 19
edited 29. May 2020, 11:31 in Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Hi all. I'm Amy.

I hope you are all safe and well?

I joined recently.

I wanted some advise. I'm on benepali and received a shielding letter with a date of 30th June before i can look at reintegrating.

My partner has asked her mother to come over (my partners mother has been mainly isolating, going out weekly to local shops and has no signs of I'll health). My partner has asked that her mum come over to spend the day with us in our garden under social distancing rules but it is before my advised date and I donf feel very confident about this.

My partner understands my concern but it's hard fof her as she misses her mum. My partner has stated that her mum will remain at her home for 1 week prior to visiting us next weekend and adhere to all hand washing and distancing guidelines when at ours and throughout the short car journey to and from.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Bluebell7
    Bluebell7 Member Posts: 41

Hi,

i saw on BBC news a question asking about those shielding, they were told it was to early to come out of shielding.

i am so sorry, it must be very frustrating for you.

Hugs

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

Hi yes on the daily Government update today Boris Johnson advised all the people that were shielding that they had to stay shielded and that the Government will be issuing further guidance shortly.

I have been shielding since March when the lockdown commenced and I had hoped that we would be able to go out and about but alas no. I can understand that us that are clinically vulnerable need to be protected from contracting this virus but it seems that guidance from the Government so far has been limited.

• Amy79
    Thank you both for your comments. Its really tough. As my partner feels that the measures we will put in place for the day will be enough and given that her mum has been mainly indoors but I just feel nervous.

Stay safe x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

The easing of some lockdown restriction does not apply to those who are shielding. My husband (who has no health issues) has reassured me that as long as I have to shield then so will he. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    edited 28. May 2020, 20:20
    Hi Amy,
    Have you fully discussed your fears with your partner, I understand it has been hard for everyone not being able to see close family but I’m sure my partner wouldn’t jeopardise my health if I wasn’t fully comfortable with the idea, in my mind being clinically diagnosed as needing to shield means exactly that, shield as it says in the letter for safety.
  • PatsyPJ
    PatsyPJ Member Posts: 8
    I know how you feel but both my wife and I have had letters to stay home 12 weeks which we have done but we have a large family and miss them like crazy
    But we are together like you and your partner so have company ( even tho my wife is working from home)
    And we are as safe as we can be so that’s what you have to think about and as previously mentioned talk to your partner as discuss your worries hopefully they will understand . Stay safe Amy x
  • Amy79
    Thank you all for your messages.. I am really grateful. ;@)
  • dreamdaisy

My husband and me had a long talk this morning as there are reports that those who are shielding are now allowed out. The usual inconsistencies in the advice remain, which can only be created by those with little medical knowledge and less understanding of poor health (some of the most dangerous people on the planet) so we concluded that, if I wish to continue shielding, then he will support that decision.

Would I like to go out beyond our house and garden? Yes. Would I like to see friends whilst obeying social distancing? Yes. Am I going to? No. The asymptomatic covid muckspreaders remain, it is not their fault they don't know they have it but it will be my fault if I go out and, despite the precautions, get it. The Spouse agrees wholeheartedly with my decision but currently I have a rather glum husband sitting in the garden; I'm hoping the cause of the glumness is he has broken his sunglasses rather than his diseased wife holding back his return to a more social way of living. DD

• Kazza52

I agree with Dreamdaisy in her sentiments. I feel that the guidance given this morning is rather vague. I have been shielding since March and indeed received a text a week or so ago advising me to shield until the 30th June as I am in the clinically vulnerable group. I am now confused.

I believe that in the daily briefing this afternoon there will be a discussion on the issue of shielding. I will be watching with anticipation.

Being allowed out I feel that as we are in the "high risk" group we will be more at risk of catching the virus. I certainly won't be going to the shops, etc, anytime soon. I don't want to risk my health. I will be staying put.

Stay safe everyone.🐶

• silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    edited 31. May 2020, 20:40
    My concern with the new policy of suddenly being allowed out is that actually in my area cases of Covid are increasing, at this point I think they should be looking at different parts of the country changing rules at different times. But I am also lucky and have a partner to talk to daily, I understand that those that have been alone for the past 10 weeks or so must be itching to get out and see people.
    I also thought in the update they said the Gov.uk website was going to be updated for shielding people today but I can’t see any of the changes they mentioned.
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,739

My mother is 91. She’s had an amazing life, she is now physically frail but mentally sharp as a pin. I do not want the wretched virus to take her. My wonderful brother is a life-long asthmatic, his heroic wife has kept their environment clinically clean in a desperate bid to keep him alive, quite frankly, as this virus would kill him. My sister and my brother in law are cancer survivors. We nearly lost him last year. My sister has had both knees replaced and now has polymyalgia, but she has never let it stop her living life to the full and beyond. I don’t want all their battles to live the life they want to live be thwarted by this awful virus.

Will I be ending lockdown? No. I don't want to be the one who takes this virus to my family. I couldn't live with myself if my desire to pretend this virus has gone away ended their lives.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I went out for the first time since January the other day, albeit for less than a couple of hours, despite being quite anxious about it beforehand but it was a birthday treat planned by my baby sister who had taken the day off work and I didn't want to say "no" because of the effort that she had made. Whilst I was surprised that everyone kept to social distancing and at no time did I feel at risk whilst I was out, I have made the decision to stay at home unless absolutely essential until such time as a vaccine is available. Like I have said before, the restrictions don't really make a lot of difference to me anyway as I live alone and was virtually housebound before the virus came along so it is probably easier for me than others. Whilst the death rate is relatively low in Cornwall we now have one of the highest "R" factors in the Country at about 0.9 thanks to those second home owners and "holidaymakers" who have found their way down here against all advice/instruction. Around 2/3rds of the Covid sufferers in our one and only main hospital are from out of the County which has been the same ratio since this started.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,739
    edited 1. Jun 2020, 09:36

We’ve got the same problem in the Lake District. Wretched second home owners and obnoxious campers think none of this applies to them. Highest infection rate in the U.K. up here. (Glad you enjoyed your day out though)

• Kazza52

Hi there,

I agree with the posts here but what amazes me is that the "R" rate which the Government/Scientists refer to is between 0.7 and 0.9 which I feel is quite high but they still allow people to descend on popular tourist spots. As I am shielding I will be anxious to go out, even to do shopping as I will be worried about catching this deadly virus.

I think the lockdown measures were lifted to allow the economy to start up again but without a vaccine and the way some people behave will there be second wave of the virus? I hope not.🐶

• dreamdaisy

We might have two friends coming to visit later today. A bottle is chilling in the fridge, one is warming in the sun, the kettle is primed and ginger biscuits have been bought. Guests will be ten feet away at one end of the garden, we will be at the other. Semaphore flags will be available for the hard-of-hearing. The neighbours will of course be privvy to our shouted conversation so we must watch our language and no dirty jokes. If they need a wee hard luck because they are not crossing the threshold but there is a spot, behind the house, which could be utilised.

I need to see people other than my beloved. So does he. He is not entirely happy about this minimal breaking of the shielding guideline but if either guest sneezes then I am straight back indoors, in the shower, anti-bac sprays and wipes a go-go. Lockdown is nothing unusual but the complete absence of a social life is. It is getting tiresome. DD

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84

I won't go near a shop. Everything is being delivered. It's a pain at times as how can you forecast how much milk or bread you'll need in any given week? Used to take nipping out to the corner shop for granted. Never again. Everything has to be planned well in advance

But I will go out and have done so briefly four times (1x15 mins first, then 2x30 mins and 1x45 mins) plus to the doctor's for blood tests. That was the scariest prospect of all, having to enter a building with other people on it and sit next to a nurse (though she had full PPE) for a couple of minutes.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a smallish town which makes social distancing comparatively easy - provided I avoid shopping areas & tourist spots - I have no idea how I'd cope if still living in a big city.

My main worry is things going wrong at home. I live in dread of needing a plumber for example. And the day before lockdown the bedstead broke and I ran out of printer ink. We've been sleeping on a mattress on the floor ever since but as I won't be going near the post office I can live without a printer.

• dreamdaisy
    edited 15. Jun 2020, 07:47

Our friends came and it was a lovely couple of hours. We hadn't seen him since Christmas Day so that was especially good. He works at our hospital (something tecchy to do with designing and sterilising surgeons' kit) and said that the orthopaedic gang had recently contacted their most urgent knee replacement cases, explaining they were reopening and would people like their ops. Around 100 were contacted, only one said yes. DD