Pain all the time

Options
kerrybee
kerrybee Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello,

I am Kerry, age 72, and have suffered with palindromic rheumatism and spinal osteoarthritis for years. I have one major spinal operation for decompression and fusion in 2011 and recently an operation called Denervex where the facet joints were smoothed. After intensive physio I was doing so well......... I was booked in for a shoulder replacement in April 2020 but didn't take place because of the Corona Virus. Have a knee that needs replacing at some stage...!

Now I am at home and finding it hard not having my intensive physio, am doing my exercises everyday, trying to do some gardening, but still not finding much relief from pain at the moment,

Any suggestions ?

Kerry.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi Kerry and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

It must be frustrating for you having had a series of operations followed by some positive physio to now be experiencing further pain and having to wait for your next op to be rescheduled. Continuing with your daily exercises will no doubt be helping but by the sounds of it is no substitute for the intensive physio you were receiving.

Our website has a vast amount of information on pain relief which you may find worth browsing  https://www.versusarthritis.org/search?query=pain+relief

You can also call our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520, or email helpline@versusarthritis.org (Mon - Fri 9:00am – 8:00pm) if you ever feel they could help.

I’m sure that other forum members will be able to share their similar experiences and offer you some advice.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• kerrybee
    Options

Thank you ChrisB,

I am trying to keep positive and as active as I can - sometimes it is really difficult to understand why this is happening. I have always been active; swimming, sailing, long 10 mile walks and gardening and I love walking with my husband, but that is now impossible.

I have looked at the website and understand all the advice given.

Kind regards,

Kerry.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Hello, I have been in pain since 1997 when I started my first arthritis. Now it is just a fact of life, widespread, and I would feel very odd, anxious and scared without it. I keep my pain relief to a minimum so I have room to increase when necessary, I make myself do stuff I would rather not for the sake of the rest of my body - my psoriatic arthritis is currently having a snap at me, shoving the osteoarthritis into the background, so when I am awake I walk round the garden twice every hour, without my aids, to get my circulation going.

My biggest aide for pain relef is distraction, I find keeping the brain busy means it is harder for it to focus on the hurts. As I said I am in the early stages of a flare so the next few weeks are going to be hard going but it's happened before, it will happen again, that is my genetic lot in life. I suppose it is happening because the pollen levels are soaring, placing greater strain on my blasted immune system (I have a lifetime of auto-immune inflammatory issues) but the summer will pass then the OA can take the reins, hurrah! At least that is more manageable. Good luck. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kerrybee
    Options

Hello Dreamdaisy,

Thank you for your kind advice. I too, am able to walk around the garden, which is quite large, and I have garden chairs strategically placed so I can sit down at various points. I read a lot and am able to see my children and grandchildren through the windows at the moment!

My auto-immune issues started in 1980 when my father died, and was diagnosed with the Palindromic Rheumatism. The OA started about 20 years ago, and is getting worse, but the brain needs to know I will not let is beat me (very often anyway!).

We need to keep smiling, especially at the moment with the lockdown . Hope the next few weeks won't be too hard for you.

Regards,

Kerrybee.