need sleep

hi i have oa of the hip and am finding it increasingly hard to sleep at night im getting by with about 2 to 3 hours and then 10 hour shift at work it a absolutely killing me i take pain killers before bed ... nothing .... take sleeping pills ... extremely hard to get out of bed and i still dont sleep the whole night
pls any help would be great before i start losing what marbles i have left

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Regrettably I have no positive suggestions for you. I have widespread OA and also only get 2 or 3 hours sleep a night. I went to my GP over a year ago as I keep falling asleep during the day, he said that it didn't matter as I cannot work anyway and was totally unsympathetic. Lack of sleep will affect you at work and will also significantly affect driving which could lead to serious injury. I suggest that you get hold of your GP as a matter of urgency.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Hello, I empathise as I have widespread arthritis of two kinds and restorative sleep is a thing of the past. Pain killers do not kill pain, they merely dull the sharper edges and it always returns. I was recently prescribed amytryptaline after a conversation in June 2019 (I know, just as well it was not an urgent request) with my rheumatologist. I told her then I did not want it but somehow it has appeared on my repeat script. My circs are different to yours but it might be an option to discuss with your GP: I fully understand that with covid it appears too hard to do so but my surgery is working as usual, just differently. It is best taken two hours or so before settling down and it is a very effective sleep aid for some. It may not suit you but we won't know until it's tried. Good luck. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    Hi Sullee,I do sympathise,it's hard to function properly, especially at work,after a poor night's sleep. I have psoriatic arthritis (still trying to sort out something which works for me,on steroids at the moment but I know these aren't ideal long term) also have disc trouble in my back,deep joy,which causes sleeplessness especially after a particularly busy day at work, I take amitriptyline 1 or 2 hours before bed and this does help,not sure if it's because it kills the pain or because it knocks me out,but hey if it works.... Or cocodamol,just the over the counter strength tho,GP gave me 30mg codeine to take with paracetamol but I found it knocked me too much when I was at work. Sorry for the long post and good luck!🤞
  • Coffeecup
    Coffeecup Member Posts: 16

Hi,

Have you tried the anti histamines Periton ( chloramphenicol) or phenergan?

They knock me out, esp phenergan. I work nights and use this for day time sleep, and the odd time I really need a nights sleep. It won’t help you fall asleep but does keep you asleep.

I so emphasise, lack of sleep is horrible. 🙁

• Mike1

Went to bed just after midnight, took half an hour to nod off then Vixen woke me up at 01:30 for food; went back to bed and gave up at 02:20 so am now sat in my recliner. So begins another day! Whoopee!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Have you tried supporting your body in a comfortable (or at least less painful) position? I have a knee pillow, which keeps my knees spaced when lying on my side so the hip joint is less stressed (or you can just use a normal cushion), and another cushion at hip level by my side, as I tend to sleep best on my stomach, and when I turn over onto the cushion it keeps my hips slightly flexed which I find more comfortable than lying flat out. Have a practice and see if some arrangement might help you.

• Mike1

I have tried everything and spent loads of dosh trying to sleep over the years. My GP said that it was not a problem as I cannot work anyway so I nod off several times during the day for 20 minutes or so, he wouldn't give me anything either.