Pain reduction

Options
Penanme
Penanme Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello I am new to the site. I'm 82 and been suffering with Osteoarthritis of the spine really badly for over ten years and have never received adequate medication to control the pain having asked so many times. The only thing they will continue to prescribe is Solpadol with an Ibuprofen rub and Amitriptyline at night which doesn't help at all. In desperation I paid to see a Rheumatologist at the end of last year and he prescribed Matrofen patches which were increased to 50mcg and did help but, after persevering with the side effects, I had to stop using them. I am waiting for an appointment for the Muscular Skeletal Clinic but of course with the current situation I don't know when that will be. In the meantime can anyone help please.

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    Options

Hi and welcome,

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

About arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis

Find out more about the different conditions, treatments and how to manage your symptoms.

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Hello, I am so sorry to read of your plight, pain affects all of us and it is very debilitating.

I began my first arthritis when I was 37 and 23 years on now have two kinds plus fibromyalgia. Life became easier when the pain was so widespread there wasn't a major joint that didn't hurt but my spine is, so far, merciflly unaffected. The problem with OA is that because it is so common it is often not taken seriously and there truly is not much to be done to reduce pain because, if you want to keep your wits about you, nothing really does or for very long. If you don't mind being in a haze of narcotics then oromorph (liquid morphine) might help, the stronger the pain relief the more one is taken away from the pain rather than vice versa but this must be discussed with your GP but he doesn't sound too empathetic which is a pity.

I manage to get by on between four, five or six 30/500 cocodamol per day but on the not so bad days also take solpadol, the strongest version I can buy over the counter. I think that is only 12/500 but it is useful for emergencies and the less bad days. My main pain strategy is distraction, if I can keep my mind busy with other things it doesn't seem so bad but when that fails at least I can increase the cocos.

I am not at my best today, my apologies for rambling (which I can now do only verbally). DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I’m sorry to hear you’re in so much pain, and that no one has really taken it seriously so far. Our local MSK clinic is now working, but of course this may vary across the country. The mai pen issue may be the long long waiting lists now, but do try to persevere with your Doc re pain relief meanwhile, to keep things bearable while you wait.