Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Going back to work

I have been shielding for 12 weeks due to taking Methotrexate. Work rang last week and said 12 weeks furlough up and can I go back next Monday otherwise I will be on sick pay. From the beginning of my shielding, my rheumatology nurse rang me and said due to where we live which is extremely rural that I could go out once a day to walk my dog as long as I kept safe, which I have done so. I am now concerned about going back to work and seeing people again, there are only four people in the office and desks are well apart, external staff won't be allowed into office whilst I am there to try and protect me. Normally I am a very confident capable individual, but these past 12 week have left me lacking confidence etc and well like everyone in this situation feel very vulnerable at the thought of meeting people again and keeping my health safe.

Comments

• MoWWMoWW Posts: 30 mod

Hello,

thank you for your post.

I appreciate this is a difficult time for you and anyone who has been shielding, who now faces the prospect of returning to work.

As you have been furloughed, your employer may be able to extend this for you. While your employer has made every effort to ensure staff stay safe when returning to work, for those staff who have a condition that means they have been advised to shield, additional discussions are required to ensure that you are protected.

I have included in this post some links to organisations that provide advice on this. If you are a member of a union check out their guidance too.

Our information is updated regularly. Guidance for those who should shield is on our website.https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/april/coronavirus-covid-19-and-arthritis-where-to-go-for-information/

If you have a letter advising you to shield, check the links on this, which should signpost to your nation specific advice. In addition, links to each nation can be found within the link above to our website.

BSR, British Society for Rheumatology has produced some guidance and signpost to our website. https://www.rheumatology.org.uk/covid-19/

The Government Co-vid 19 information https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

I hope this information helps you to have an informed discussion with your employer, on the support they can put in place now, and for the future when you do return to work.

Please let us know how you get on.

Mo

• TreesTrees Posts: 9
    Thank you so much for advice and information, really helpful and yes will let you know how I get on x
  • TreesTrees Posts: 9

Hello, update on work as just gone back this week. Wasn't as bad as first thought, everything in place for me to go back and just taking it day by day, confidence has come back after just a few days, think its good to be back in routine again, so happy days.

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 25,111 ✭✭

Trees I am so very pleased to hear you are back at work happy and feeling safe!

Love

Toni xxx

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.